Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adoption of a Dog......Success!

+12
drewBAKER
Johnny
ladybugg
DOODLE BUGG
vwgirl
Bugman114
Grifspop
meinvw
vwovalchild
fluxcap
vwtattooed
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
16 posters

Go down

Adoption of a Dog......Success! Empty Adoption of a Dog......Success!

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu May 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Ok so the story starts with Ashley begging me for a dog. She wants one really bad. Well she gets to looking around and starts finding posting of dogs that can be adopted out of shelters. I think this is great. We can get a dog that is already out or coming out of the puppy stage.....one less thing to worry about. I have always liked basset hounds so we start looking. We find a few right away. Put calls/emails in to the shelters to see if they are available. Most of the time it takes days to get a responce... Rolling Eyes When we finally get some responses we make plans to go and see these dogs.

Well first off if you are looking to adopt a basset hound in GA you have to race against The Basset Hound Rescue of GA to get to the dogs first. They are an organization that "saves" this breed of dogs from shelters and place them in foster homes until they can adopt them out. From what I have seen they really just scoop up any basset they can get their hands on (especially if the adoption fee is cheap) foster them for a while and put a $250 adoption fee on them along with bunch of leg work for a people that would like to give them a forever home. Anyway we missed one dog that we went to Marietta to see because of this organization beat us there and I think two more because the shelter or wherever the dog was took too long to respond. Anyway that is a different rant....

So while searching we came across Cady last week. She was located in LaGrange but not available for adoption until today due to being spayed this week. Ashley was in communication with a shelter worker for the past week finding out more information on Cady and when she would be available for adoption. She was told the dog would be in after lunch today. Ashley really liked this dog so she took vacation today to go down and see it. She got to the shelter before it even opened which was at 10. She waited until they opened and then told one of the workers why she was there. They brought Cady out to the cages about 30 minutes later. In the meantime another woman arrived at the shelter around 10:20. She was wanting the same dog.

So after Cady was brought out Ashley was able to go back and see her but she couldn't take her out as she didn't have a collar for the leash to go on. So one of the guys there went to get her collar and a leash so Ashley could take her out of the cage and see how Cady was and if she would be a good fit for our family. In the meantime the other woman paid for Cady while Ashley was in the back waiting to take Cady out. By the time the guy got back with the collar the other lady came in and said that it was her dog and that she was already paid for.

The shelter was first come first serve..... We were told that the dog could not be held or pre-adopted... So in my eyes the shelter screwed us out of Cady. I don't know the exact story as I was not there but this is what I was relayed from Ashley and I think they did her wrong.

This just seems like an all to familiar story especially with car deals. I hope she went to a good home and I guess we will keep looking....

Last edited by Attorney Isaiah Loophole on Mon May 31, 2010 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Adoption of a Dog......Success! Empty Re: Adoption of a Dog......Success!

Post by vwtattooed Thu May 27, 2010 6:54 pm

That is crazy! my wife woulda blew a gasket. i do believe things happen for a reason so maybe it was'nt meant to be? i will keep my ears open for you, have a friend who works at a vet, maybe she can help us look too!
vwtattooed
vwtattooed
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu May 27, 2010 6:57 pm

Yeah well I am just glad I wasn't there cause they would have had to call someone to cool me down.....but what can you do....crooked people for a crooked world...I will just try to keep straight
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu May 27, 2010 7:05 pm

That sucks man. Just keep looking around though. I'll also let you know if I see any available ones.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by vwovalchild Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Its not a basset hound but I have 3 week old Mini Dachshunds. We only have males left but they are all healthy and growing great. We are asking $150.00 for them and this money is going to the kids for tending to them. I can post a pic if you want.
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.AirCooledArcheology.com

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Thu May 27, 2010 10:53 pm

All of our dogs are rescue dogs except 2. They were ones we babysat for a few months and ended up keeping them because of the owners situation. But if you do not find one your looking for would love to find a good home for some of ours. We love them to death, but have had our kids move back home and then move back out and their pets ended up staying with us. But we have a mutt, almost collie colors and medium sized that likes to herd the other dogs. She is a bit over 2 and a loving protective dog just does not play well with the others. Very submissive, think she was abused as a puppy but a good dog, out of the puppy stages and trained. Or have the 2 pugs we adopted, they are both registered and chipped as well as fixed and they would have to go together. hate to offer any up but we have 6 dogs, 4cats, 2 fish, a cray fish, and a pet squirrel! but if your interested in meeting them let me know. All up to date with shots and records, all we ask is a good home with visitation rights!!

The pugs are a male and female and well look like all other tan pugs, soffie is well she is just soffie!
no pics of the pugs yet here, but soffie is in there...

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/S/t/StephanieEldreth/animals.htm
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Thu May 27, 2010 11:27 pm

Attorney Isaiah Loophole wrote:Ok so the story starts with Ashley begging me for a dog. She wants one really bad. Well she gets to looking around and starts finding posting of dogs that can be adopted out of shelters. I think this is great. We can get a dog that is already out or coming out of the puppy stage.....one less thing to worry about. I have always liked basset hounds so we start looking. We find a few right away. Put calls/emails in to the shelters to see if they are available. Most of the time it takes days to get a responce... Rolling Eyes When we finally get some responses we make plans to go and see these dogs.

Well first off if you are looking to adopt a basset hound in GA you have to race against The Basset Hound Rescue of GA to get to the dogs first. They are an organization that "saves" this breed of dogs from shelters and place them in foster homes until they can adopt them out. From what I have seen they really just scoop up any basset they can get their hands on (especially if the adoption fee is cheap) foster them for a while and put a $250 adoption fee on them along with bunch of leg work for a people that would like to give them a forever home. Anyway we missed one dog that we went to Marietta to see because of this organization beat us there and I think two more because the shelter or wherever the dog was took too long to respond. Anyway that is a different rant....

So while searching we came across Cady last week. She was located in LaGrange but not available for adoption until today due to being spayed this week. Ashley was in communication with a shelter worker for the past week finding out more information on Cady and when she would be available for adoption. She was told the dog would be in after lunch today. Ashley really liked this dog so she took vacation today to go down and see it. She got to the shelter before it even opened which was at 10. She waited until they opened and then told one of the workers why she was there. They brought Cady out to the cages about 30 minutes later. In the meantime another woman arrived at the shelter around 10:20. She was wanting the same dog.

So after Cady was brought out Ashley was able to go back and see her but she couldn't take her out as she didn't have a collar for the leash to go on. So one of the guys there went to get her collar and a leash so Ashley could take her out of the cage and see how Cady was and if she would be a good fit for our family. In the meantime the other woman paid for Cady while Ashley was in the back waiting to take Cady out. By the time the guy got back with the collar the other lady came in and said that it was her dog and that she was already paid for.

The shelter was first come first serve..... We were told that the dog could not be held or pre-adopted... So in my eyes the shelter screwed us out of Cady. I don't know the exact story as I was not there but this is what I was relayed from Ashley and I think they did her wrong.

This just seems like an all to familiar story especially with car deals. I hope she went to a good home and I guess we will keep looking....

My wife is active with the Sheltie Rescue organization, and we're currently fostering a couple of older dogs whose owner died. We're hoping to get them adopted out, but most people want puppies, not older dogs. They don't want to split them up because they've been together for about 10 years.
A lot of the rescue organizations do home surveys, and spend a lot of money on vetting the dogs, so their adoption fees are break even probably at best. Especially when you compare with the typical pet store.

You might just keep an eye open with the bassett hound rescue guys, a lot of the time the animal shelters call them to pick up pure breed dogs so they're not put down.

Having said that, Good Luck, I hope you and Ashley get the dog you're looking for.
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu May 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Thats just messed up Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad . I know the lady must have known that yall were waiting there, so she prolly paid for it to beat yall. What a B!T@H. I've notieced a lot of people are just @ss holes when it come to stuff like this. for example, at work (advance auto). sometimes, i'll be working at the back of the store and a line will start to form at the registers. I've had many people walk up to me to ask me to look stuff up for them, just so they won't have to wait in line. then they get pissed when i tell them, I'll have to help the people WHO WERE WAITING FIRST. sometimes they will say, well i was with you first or some crap like that, and i'll usually respond with "So you want to just cut in front of all these people, is that right?" . But i'll say it loud enough for everyone to hear. It gripes my ass when people do stuff like that. what happend to friggin manners??? It seems like many people are starting to get a nasty selfish "I'm the only who who matters" type of attitude. And I always try to prevent crap like that from happening.

Like today, i was driving down panola road, and i see a car about to come out of a store, and get in front of me, but he stops, then as i'm almost there, he decides to go anyway( STARING AT ME THE WHOLE TIME), and but keep going slow, didn't even speed up, it was so close, i had to swerve around him (i got pissed at this point), so i jerk in front of him, and slamm on my brakes. He skids to a stop. so i start going, and he does too, but he stays like 10 cars lengths behind me the whole time, even as we stop at a stoplight. was that a smart thing to do? NO. but no one else was around, and i was pissed. i wouldn't have done that, if there were other cars around, no matter how pissed i was. anyhoo, again, the point was that some people are just A-holes, and simply don't care about others.

sorry rant over, but i guess i'm in the right place Laughing
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Fri May 28, 2010 7:20 am

Grifspop wrote:A lot of the rescue organizations do home surveys, and spend a lot of money on vetting the dogs, so their adoption fees are break even probably at best. Especially when you compare with the typical pet store.

You might just keep an eye open with the bassett hound rescue guys, a lot of the time the animal shelters call them to pick up pure breed dogs so they're not put down.

Yeah I understand the adoption fees but every dog we have looked at in the shelters has been less than $100 to adopt and they have been fixed and are up to date on their shots so Basset Hound Rescue has not put any more money in these dogs.... And I understand that these type of organizations need money but....

As far as the home surveys and interviews go.....why do I have to jump through hoops to save a dog from a rescue. It seems to me that they would want to make it as easy as possible for someone to save a dog. And its not like I have just contacted about pure breds, we have inquired about mutts too.....Anyway I am done with this for now...
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl Fri May 28, 2010 7:52 am

When I went to get a dog from the shelter 11+ years ago, I had been looking for a while and I wanted a Rottie... I had had one before and found a cute mutt rottie puppy. I did the same as you, got there before they opened, I was the first one there... then someone else showed up just before they opened... turns out they were there for the same dog... they gave me some sob story about how they had gotten a rottie from the pound a few weeks before but it had parvo and they had to put it down, blah blah blah... I let them have the dog even though I could have easily claimed it as mine.

I kept looking and went to one of those rescue places that hikes up the prices of the dogs... I was willing to pay it. I found another dog I liked, She was some sort of rott/ australian shepard mix or something like that. They let me take her out and play with her and get to know her for like an hour before they had me fill out the adoption papers. At the time I lived in a very small house, I think it was like 600 sq feet and she was going to be a HUGE dog... she was a HUGE puppy... anyway they ask about the living conditions and everything and I said that she might spend some time outside as we had a fenced in back yard... what big dog doesn't want to run around and play? Well they told me that because I was going to allow the dog to be outside that I couldn't have her because she might run away and end up back at the pound. WTF?!?!?! so a 100+ pound dog shouldn't spend time outside?

I found my dog Nico at the pound the next week. Funny how the rescue place that gets the animals from the pound uses the same form as the pound too... I filled it out and said she would never go outside... just in case. I got my dog and I love her to death... Good thing I didn't tell them that I would take her camping in a VW bus... they probably wouldn't have let me adopt her either. 11+ years and many many hours unattended in the fenced in backyard later... she is still here with me, go figure... oh right, and she had parvo too, but I paid for the medication rather than putting her down.

Good luck!

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Fri May 28, 2010 10:02 am

http://www.animalshelter.org/pets/results.asp?typeId=2&txtBreed=Basset+Hound&sizeId=&genderId=&status=&postalCode=30014&radius=50&findItNow.x=66&findItNow.y=8
ONE IN BANKS COUNTY AND ONE IN ROSWELL THE ONE IN ROSWELL IS A BASSIT BULLDOG LOOKS COOL
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybugg Sat May 29, 2010 7:26 pm

go here http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?animal_type=Dog&pet_breed=Basset+Hound&location=ga&startsearch=Search
ladybugg
ladybugg
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-09-20

http://www.bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Sat May 29, 2010 8:31 pm

Yeah I have been using petfinder.com......checking out another one tomorrow

Last edited by Attorney Isaiah Loophole on Sat May 29, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Sat May 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Good Luck

I'm like you, the home survey's are kind of a joke. Is the place suitable for a dog?? Guess so.
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon May 31, 2010 9:57 am

Attorney Isaiah Loophole wrote:checking out another one tomorrow

Well....?
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Mon May 31, 2010 10:03 am

Got one. His name is Patch. He is very sweet. He is a basset mix
Adoption of a Dog......Success! GA92.15629610-1-pn
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Mon May 31, 2010 10:13 am

Welcome Patch....And Congratulations on the new Family member.
Johnny
Johnny
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.atvw.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon May 31, 2010 10:48 am

Awesome! He's a good looking dog.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by drewBAKER Mon May 31, 2010 11:26 am

i like the picture.

it reminds me of the birthday cards with the cats and dogs on them where the picture was taken with a fish eye lens.
drewBAKER
drewBAKER
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts Mon May 31, 2010 12:04 pm

Congratulations guys! Glad things worked out
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Mon May 31, 2010 1:44 pm

Looks like you got a nice dog there!! I'm sure he will enjoy his new home!! cheers
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Mon May 31, 2010 2:43 pm

Congrats on finally getting your dog.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Mon May 31, 2010 9:29 pm

Congrats!
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:53 am

cheers a new family member! Congrats
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum