Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help opening a hood on a SuperBeetle

+6
DOODLE BUGG
ASBug
DiggerD
fluxcap
adams77
Jim Baker
10 posters

Go down

Help opening a hood on a SuperBeetle Empty Help opening a hood on a SuperBeetle

Post by Jim Baker Tue May 18, 2010 9:19 am

I'm sure many of you have dealt with this question before. Does anyone have any suggestions for opening a hood that won't release? It's a 76 SB convert. I push the glove box handle down and the hood won't release.

Thank you!
Jim
Jim Baker
Jim Baker
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Back to top Go down

Help opening a hood on a SuperBeetle Empty Re: Help opening a hood on a SuperBeetle

Post by adams77 Tue May 18, 2010 9:25 am

I had one that did the same thing, I cut off the hood handle and opened it with a screwdriver through the hole in the hood where the handle was.

Did that make sense? The handle was only about $13 if I remember.

adams77
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Help opening a hood on a SuperBeetle Empty Re: Help opening a hood on a SuperBeetle

Post by fluxcap Tue May 18, 2010 9:57 am

Before you cut the handle, try having someone pull the release lever while you gently push downward on the hood. Push down and give the hood a little wiggle.

If that doesn't work, then you are back to cutting the handle in half.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Tue May 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Yeah sometimes you get lucky and it will pop open if you push on it or wiggle it the right way. I was not so lucky when the cable broke on my 71. I had to cut the handle. You actually have to cut it in two places to remove it with minimal or no damage to the hood.

Good Luck!!
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Tue May 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Had to do this to the ASbug when I put the hood back on, didn't get it lined up right and closed it.
NO amount of wiggling would get it loose...
Once the handle was off, I could get a screwdriver in there to manipulate the hood over.
It was a pain to get the handle off w/o denting the hood.
BE CAREFUL.
Also, the heat from the grinder, melted my little black push button...
KC
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Tue May 18, 2010 1:43 pm

all the pushing and wiggiling is starting to sound like fun affraid
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Tue May 18, 2010 4:41 pm

If the spare tire is not there you can knock out the big plug and go in with your hand and release it. Grab the cable at the latch and pull. It's a tight fit but I have done a few times.

Joe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://ATVW.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Tue May 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Well if all the suggestions fail just get that old shotgun and shoot the latch right off of there LoL!!!!!!!
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Baker Tue May 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Thank you! For all the suggestions. I Googled it before I posted here and saw someone taking a grinder to the handle, and I was hoping that was not the solution. I am going to try the 2 person pull, push and wiggle, that sounds like fun! Wink If that does'nt work, the spare tire isn't in there, but there is a lot of junk in there that I might be able to move around and I'll try that. Then if all else fails, pull out the drummel and cut the handle.

I was hoping I could just take out the glove box.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Baker
Jim Baker
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Tue May 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Jim Baker wrote:Thank you! For all the suggestions. I Googled it before I posted here and saw someone taking a grinder to the handle, and I was hoping that was not the solution. I am going to try the 2 person pull, push and wiggle, that sounds like fun! Wink If that does'nt work, the spare tire isn't in there, but there are some other thing in there that I might be able to move around and I'll try that. Then if all else fails, pull out the drummel and cut the handle.

I was hoping I could just take out the glove box.

Hey I guess the shotgun wasn't a good ideal
Thanks,
Embarassed Oh well the grinder was the next ideal.
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by vwovalchild Tue May 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Ditto the plug in the bottom. The plug is sealed in there so it might take a little banging. I have done this several times.
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.AirCooledArcheology.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Tue May 18, 2010 9:27 pm

or you could let a little person go through the glove box just dont let defax see it
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 68buggirrl Fri May 21, 2010 10:13 am

Haha..

My 68 has the same problem so I have to have someone hold the button down and pull up and i have to pull the cable. Kinda a pain.
68buggirrl
68buggirrl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2010-03-20

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/bimmergirrl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down