Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture?

+7
ASBug
VW12step
71Ghia
Grifspop
vwgirl
zabo
Damn-it Don
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? Empty Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture?

Post by Damn-it Don Tue May 18, 2010 5:43 am

You might have heard about the current exhibit at the High Museum of Art, downtown-
[img]Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? High_m10[/img]
Lets get the Atlanta 'Dub community out for this one!
I have called and got the lowdown on the basic group rates- which, depending on our head count could be reduced.
The present rate is $12 adult/ $6 for school age kids. I'm getting more details on parking (including possible group discount). The rate for their 'on property' parking is $12 (I think). I'll work on that.

Here's what we need to figure out-
1) a date
2) a head count (adult and children), even if it changes later.

I will be calling them back next week to sort out more details, and they are already going to forward more info to me, which I will pass along on this thread- so stay tuned too!
Chime in here if you might be interested!

Last edited by Don Hall on Thu May 27, 2010 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? Empty Re: Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture?

Post by zabo Tue May 18, 2010 7:30 am

would be cool to roll down there- I've been wanting to check this out.
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? Empty Re: Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture?

Post by vwgirl Tue May 18, 2010 9:14 am

We almost went for mothers day but we were pressed for time so the regular rate of $18 each wasn't worth it... so I would love to go, but will likely have to work whatever day you do it.

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Tue May 18, 2010 12:17 pm

I went week before last, cost me $18 to enter, and $11 to park, all that for about 20 cars. The cars are spectacular, but I felt they could have been better displayed.
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl Tue May 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Grifspop wrote:I went week before last, cost me $18 to enter, and $11 to park, all that for about 20 cars. The cars are spectacular, but I felt they could have been better displayed.

That's it? Wish you could take pictures in that part of the museum... you could save me the trip...

Honestly I guess I didn't pay attention when we talked about going... I thought it was actually art about cars not cars displayed as art... it works either way, but I would have highly disappointed to spend $18x 3 people plus 11 to park to see 20 cars Sad

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by 71Ghia Tue May 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Joanna and I would be up for it, we've been talking about going.
71Ghia
71Ghia
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 71Ghia Tue May 18, 2010 1:04 pm

vwgirl wrote:
Grifspop wrote:I went week before last, cost me $18 to enter, and $11 to park, all that for about 20 cars. The cars are spectacular, but I felt they could have been better displayed.

That's it? Wish you could take pictures in that part of the museum... you could save me the trip...

Honestly I guess I didn't pay attention when we talked about going... I thought it was actually art about cars not cars displayed as art... it works either way, but I would have highly disappointed to spend $18x 3 people plus 11 to park to see 20 cars Sad

Think positive Very Happy
71Ghia
71Ghia
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 am

O.k., I'll post up some pictures, but they made me turn off my flash and I'm apologizing in advance for my poor photography skills.

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA1

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA4

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA17

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA22

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA23

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA24

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA27

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA31

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA44

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA52

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA56

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? AA58
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 71Ghia Wed May 19, 2010 2:08 am

That just makes me want to go more! tongue
71Ghia
71Ghia
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by VW12step Wed May 19, 2010 5:14 am

We went the first weekend. If you love cars, go. It was absolutely amazing. The chance to see beautiful, historic cars up close. Most of which you could only see in books or magazines. I'd be down for going again with a group. If not, I plan to go again anyway. (There is also good reason to go in addition to the cars!) Very Happy
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Wed May 19, 2010 10:32 am

Yeah, Dusenberg, Delage, Bugatti, Packard, you're not likely to see any of these cars in real life unless you're at Pebble Beach or Amelia Island. That being said, I didn't think they were displayed well. A couple of the cars were crammed together (Steve McQueen's Jaguar and the Mercedes 300 race car) and you couldn't see the side exit exhaust. Some of the cars were shoved up against the wall, and you couldn't walk all the way around the car. Clark Gables' Dusenberg was featured right as you enter, but was hogging up all the Museum real estate. You could have displayed 2 or 3 cars in that space. On a plus side, the story boards describing the cars were very detailed and informative.
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl Wed May 19, 2010 10:44 am

VW12step wrote:We went the first weekend. If you love cars, go. It was absolutely amazing. The chance to see beautiful, historic cars up close. Most of which you could only see in books or magazines. I'd be down for going again with a group. If not, I plan to go again anyway. (There is also good reason to go in addition to the cars!) Very Happy

What reason is that?

I was going to ask for pictures before... but since photography is prohibited on the special exhibits I didn't think you could take any... so they gave you the permit for the special exhibit too? That was part of the reason I was not so interested...

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 pm

vwgirl wrote:
VW12step wrote:We went the first weekend. If you love cars, go. It was absolutely amazing. The chance to see beautiful, historic cars up close. Most of which you could only see in books or magazines. I'd be down for going again with a group. If not, I plan to go again anyway. (There is also good reason to go in addition to the cars!) Very Happy

What reason is that?

I was going to ask for pictures before... but since photography is prohibited on the special exhibits I didn't think you could take any... so they gave you the permit for the special exhibit too? That was part of the reason I was not so interested...

I just got out my camera and started to take a picture, and one of the guards asked me to turn off the flash. It took a couple of tries, but I figured out how to turn it off. Silver cars are hard to photograph in that setting, so I had to delete a bunch of blurry shots.
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Wed May 19, 2010 12:10 pm

The rest of the pictures I took (including the blurry ones) are in my photobucket file named "The Allure of the Automobile"

https://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/grifspop/The%20Allure%20of%20the%20Automobile/
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by VW12step Wed May 19, 2010 2:15 pm

vwgirl wrote:

What reason is that?

Seriously? It's The High Museum of Art. High Museum I took a bunch of pics with with my phone...no problem.
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl Wed May 19, 2010 2:29 pm

F
VW12step wrote:
vwgirl wrote:

What reason is that?

Seriously? It's The High Museum of Art. High Museum I took a bunch of pics with with my phone...no problem.

Sorry, I have never been there before and their website clearly states you must obtain a permit to take ANY pictures and that you may not take pics of special exibits.... so my bad for thinking they had accurate information on there website.

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Wed May 19, 2010 5:36 pm

The thinking is the flash causes paintings to deteriorate, so I'll bet photography is discouraged in a lot of museums. Maybe since these are cars, they let us slide.
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by VW12step Wed May 19, 2010 6:53 pm

If you ask for a photo permit you can take pics of almost anything with no flash...you're right, the light deteriorates lots of the stuff they have there. That, and they want people to pay to come see it. Very Happy

So, when are we going?
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Thu May 20, 2010 9:10 am

Grifspop wrote:The thinking is the flash causes paintings to deteriorate, so I'll bet photography is discouraged in a lot of museums. Maybe since these are cars, they let us slide.
The Mona Lisa in the Louvre' Has a polarized glass covering.
It doesn't matter what angle you shoot it from, your flash will always always always show.
This is to curtail un authorized copies.
They will chase you to get your camera.
I know this 1st hand....
Luckally they are like 5 foot nothing and I was 6'4 and ran track.
I lost them in the area near the david statue.
-ahh good times...
KC
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Thu May 20, 2010 9:26 am

very very sneekie
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 68buggirrl Fri May 21, 2010 9:50 am

^ haha.

Id love to go because personally those cars are worth it. Ive wanted to go and see them for a while now..
I would have me and my bf definitely. Maybe some friends but not sure. (Oh yeah my bug and his truck)
68buggirrl
68buggirrl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2010-03-20

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/bimmergirrl

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Fri May 21, 2010 11:45 am

ASBug wrote:
Grifspop wrote:The thinking is the flash causes paintings to deteriorate, so I'll bet photography is discouraged in a lot of museums. Maybe since these are cars, they let us slide.
The Mona Lisa in the Louvre' Has a polarized glass covering.
It doesn't matter what angle you shoot it from, your flash will always always always show.
This is to curtail un authorized copies.
They will chase you to get your camera.
I know this 1st hand....
Luckally they are like 5 foot nothing and I was 6'4 and ran track.
I lost them in the area near the david statue.
-ahh good times...
KC

I managed to get a picture of the Mona Lisa, took me 3 tries.

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? ParisPictures109

My favorite Van Gogh painting didn't have anything in the way

Alright, Who's up for a little "High"-class Kulture? ParisPictures069
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl Fri May 21, 2010 7:40 pm

So why didn't we all just go to this:
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/articles/templates/generalArticle.xhtml?articleId=65465

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by VW12step Sun May 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Lets go June 13th. BBQ and music on the piazza from 2-5, plus...

On Sunday, June 13, get a rare chance to peek under the hoods of several cars in The Allure of the Automobile, including Clark Gable's 1934 Packard LeBaron Runabout Speedster, the 1961 Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato, the 1948 Tucker Model 48 Torpedo and the 1959 Corvette Sting Ray.

Full list of "Hoods Up!" cars:

* Packard LeBaron Runabout Speedster 1934
* Bugatti Type 57S Atalante
* Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato 1961
* Tucker Model 48 Torpedo 1948
* Cadillac Eldorado Brougham 1957
* Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray 1959
VW12step
VW12step
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Mon May 24, 2010 7:35 am

I'll call and see what I can set up for us. Stay tuned
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next