Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bay window rear suspension

4 posters

Go down

Bay window rear suspension Empty Bay window rear suspension

Post by petervalle Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Hey guys, I am working again on my project. I am doing small modifications to the rear suspension in order to get to my final goal (laying frame).
I changed 3 splines on the rear spring plates and it dropped the bus to the max and the tires have a little angle on them, but not too much. I notched the frame 2 inches so nothing touches the frame (temporary). I have horseshoe plates, but I need to install some aftermarket frame rails for the massive drop. I work at a parts store and just so happens that I went to a Monroe Shocks class a few weeks ago and they were talking about air shocks. I found the correct height, and size air shocks with a 7inch travel. I put them on, but the suspension will only give me about 3inch to 3.5 inch travel. Different from the independent front suspension beam I have, the rear is connected by that torsion bar. How does this bar operate under normal conditions?
Can I remove this bar to get independent suspension? Is 3inches of travel the most I will get in the rear suspension? During the removal of parts, the bar came out to far and it was hard to get back in, I read in the samba that they are supposed to be under load, and at specific angle settings.

I AM CONFUSED, NEED SOME TECHNICAL HELP.
petervalle
petervalle
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Bay window rear suspension Empty Re: Bay window rear suspension

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Honestly, go with the new fad..............stock. Raise that bay back up to a respectable height and hold your head high when you ride. Very Happy
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by petervalle Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 pm

My idea is to have the Bus resting on the pavement when the vehicle is not in motion and then raising the vehicle up about 5-6 inches and for normal driving.

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A DAILY DRIVER.
petervalle
petervalle
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 pm

YOU NEED TO BE LOW SO WHEN YOU GET OLD YOU CAN WALK STRAIT IN WITH YOUR WALKER AND SIT DOWN
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by petervalle Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 pm

I know this is not the norm over here, but I just need some technical knowledge on this type of suspension. I don't want to take something off and then my bus falls apart.
petervalle
petervalle
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by billieco Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:33 pm

petervalle wrote:I know this is not the norm over here, but I just need some technical knowledge on this type of suspension. I don't want to take something off and then my bus falls apart.
Call me at the shop this week. 770-888-4909
Thanks
Billie
billieco
billieco
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://stockornaut.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content