Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gas gauge vibrater

5 posters

Go down

gas gauge vibrater Empty gas gauge vibrater

Post by buggin70 Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:39 pm

how hard would it be to put it in i have it i think thats the problem i have
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

gas gauge vibrater Empty Re: gas gauge vibrater

Post by fluxcap Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:05 pm

buggin70 wrote:how hard would it be to put it in i have it i think thats the problem i have

The vibrator is easy to install. It is held in place by a small screw on the speedo. Here is a pic from the samba to show where it installs. It is the little box that "power-in for fuel gauge" is pointing to. Best of luck with it, these stupid electronic fuel gauges have been nothing but trouble for me lately. I'm about ready to put the mechanical gauge back in. Evil or Very Mad

gas gauge vibrater 504108
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Ok eric after seeing this Bob was right your the speedo meter guy. Got to take mind out the Ghia and drop it off yo you. LoL!!!!!!!!!!
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:35 pm

56HAVOC wrote:Ok eric after seeing this Bob was right your the speedo meter guy. Got to take mind out the Ghia and drop it off yo you. LoL!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, I stole that pic from the samba, but it is a very useful picture. I can clean them up and reset them to 0, but I have no way to calibrate them to read correctly. All of the one's I've used lately have all been about 5-7 mph off.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Well I got to get you to look at the Ghia and I'll give you the job ok. We got to fine someone who can fix that problem for us cause everyone I got is off just about the same 5-10. But no rush I'm still rolling
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:21 pm

The cause of the speedo being off in most cases is the size of the front tire. The smaller the tire the less distance the tire can travel in one revolution. I don't really know the mathmatical equation.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:27 pm

My gas guage acted up over the summer and the reason was the mounting screw on the back of the vibrator was SLIGHTLY loose. Apparantly 37 yrs of humidity and this slightly loose screw would cause it to loose ground.
I took the screw out ran some emory paper between the two and put the screw in and voila, no more problems.
The weird thing was that when the vibrator would loose connection the key buzzer would buzz really loud. Scared the crap out of me the 1st time.
wiggle the vibrator on the back of the speedo, if it is loose, then this might be your problem. I was able to do mine w/o removing the speedo.

Good luck and I hope this fixes you up!
KC
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:37 pm

thanx yall ill try to wiggle it in the mornin

i allready have a new one so if that dosnt work ill put the new one in lets hope that works
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:47 pm

buggin70 wrote:thanx yall ill try to wiggle it in the mornin

i allready have a new one so if that dosnt work ill put the new one in lets hope that works

What symptoms are you having? Another common problem is the sender (the part in the tank) will lose its ground. Sometimes they are grounded only by the 6 screws that attach it to the tank. This isn't that great since there is a rubber gasket between the sender and the tank and the ground can be weak. VW later started running a ground wire under one of those 6 screws to a good ground.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:04 am

fluxcap wrote:
buggin70 wrote:thanx yall ill try to wiggle it in the mornin

What symptoms are you having? Another common problem is the sender (the part in the tank) will lose its ground. Sometimes they are grounded only by the 6 screws that attach it to the tank. This isn't that great since there is a rubber gasket between the sender and the tank and the ground can be weak. VW later started running a ground wire under one of those 6 screws to a good ground.

that could be it too
it worked one day then i went to eat w/ tim a drew to watch ufc i think then i was on my way home and noticed it was empty when it was half when i parked it

this was when i first got it
buggin70
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: