Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No brake pressure

+4
vwovalchild
EngineerTEN
LungTube
Hobug
8 posters

Go down

No brake pressure Empty No brake pressure

Post by Hobug Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:26 pm

I have installed a new master cylinder and one new wheel cylinder on a 67 bug. I have no more air bubbles when bleeding the system, but I can't build any pressure. The shoes are adjusted out. What am I missing?
Hobug
Hobug
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1326
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

No brake pressure Empty Re: No brake pressure

Post by LungTube Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:44 pm

did you bleed the master before installing it?
LungTube
LungTube
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobug Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:29 pm

vinayak wrote:did you bleed the master before installing it?
No I didn't, but I have read a couple of techniques on the Samba on bleeding it while it is on the car. Thanks.
Hobug
Hobug
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by EngineerTEN Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Also make sure your break pads are adjusted.
EngineerTEN
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by vwovalchild Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 am

Adjust all shoes all the way out until the wheels lock down. Then bleed the brakes. Make sure you start with the right rear then left rear, right front and then left front. Make sure your brake fluid does not run out while doing the bleeding. Once you get the bleeding complete readjust your brakes until the just scrub.
vwovalchild
vwovalchild
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2008-07-27

http://www.AirCooledArcheology.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobug Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:34 am

votwing wrote:Adjust all shoes all the way out until the wheels lock down. Then bleed the brakes. Make sure you start with the right rear then left rear, right front and then left front. Make sure your brake fluid does not run out while doing the bleeding. Once you get the bleeding complete readjust your brakes until the just scrub.

I have done all of this and still no pressure. I'll try bleeding the MC tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
Hobug
Hobug
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by LungTube Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:52 am

I bled mine in car. I used alot of clear tubing to do the job. A little fuzzy on it now but It worked like a charm. The clear tubing i used came from WalMart. It is for aquariums. It is not real cheap for how much you use but you get alot. I have done alot of brakes jobs and i think the price was worth it. OH I am a cheap b#@*ard.
LungTube
LungTube
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dbcox Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:47 am

You can get the clear "tygon tubing from home depot and just stick it in a coke bvottle so it can push fluid in and suck it out so you can do it by yourself. Oreilys sells a small bottle. It takes a while to get the air out of everything, It took me forever i changed the rear wheel cylinders and all the rubber hoses it took forever.
dbcox
dbcox
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-08-09

http://www.lubedealer.com/dbcox

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:59 am

Anytime I do anything with the brakes I always do the same for both sides. I.E. if you replace a wheel cylinder for the right rear you should go ahead and do the same for th left rear that way it balances it out.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:03 pm

i have never been able to bleed the brakes on my VW the normal bleeding way. I NEVER got pressure. i decided to ghetto rig a pressure bleeding system, and the brakes are perfect, and the pedal is nice and firm. and i did NOT bleed the master cylinder.

All i did was take an extra MC cap, screw in an air hose fitting, emptied my air compressor, and turned it on for about 10 seconds (to have low pressure, or else the cap would pop off), screw the cap on. and when i'm ready, i'd connect the air hose, quickly go to the wheel, and open the screw, and wit till all the bubbles came out. and it worked perfectly for me.

i had tried to bleed it the normal way (the normal way works for all my other NON-VW cars), and all the bubbles will stop. but whan i pressure bleed it, more bubbles come out. Like for some reason bleeding it normally, won't get all the bubbles, but pressure bleeding gets them all. i don't know why, but it works.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:04 pm

You could possibly have a bad "New" mastercylinder I've bought one that was bad in the box.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:54 pm

i went through 4 master cylinders from auto zone before i went to napa and paid $80 for a new one. first was the cheapo $18 rebuilt one. then the new cheapo. then the supposedly "good" brand rebuilt one. then the "good" brand new one. Then the real fifth one was a bus master cylinder, but i don't count that (tho i bet id wouldn't have worked either Laughing ). then i just returned that shit, went to napa and bougt one for $80. and no problems. I figured out the pressure bleeding thing with the first master cylinder the car came with. and the only reason i replaced it was cause it was starting to leak.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobug Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Jake Raby and Shane in our club both told me to let it gravity bleed. I just opened the bleeders for a few minutes and let it drip. Then I closed the bleeders and bled as usual. I now have good pedal, but still don't have fluid shooting out like I think it should. I'm going to adjust one more time and try them out.

Thanks for all the help.
Jon
Hobug
Hobug
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content