Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alternator pulley issues

3 posters

Go down

alternator pulley issues Empty alternator pulley issues

Post by kokodabobo Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:27 pm

The PO had put in an alternator and one of those cheap chrome pulleys. The pulley rubs against the alt and the belt won't get tight enough. It has about 2 inches of play in it. I started with 3 shims in between and 4 outside and now I've. Put all on the outside but the belt is still loose. I checked the belt size and its right, it just seems like there should be a spacer or something behind the pulley so the nut can tighten down properly. Has anyone had this problem before or have any advice?
kokodabobo
kokodabobo
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

alternator pulley issues Empty Re: alternator pulley issues

Post by DiggerD Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 pm

The answer is right in your post. Replace the cheap chrome pulley with a good Original German one. They are notorious for problems such as this.
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Also, there is a bushing on the front and rear to keep the fan and the pulley from hitting the body of the alternator. The last rebuilt unit I bought was missing the one on the rear.
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kokodabobo Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Are there german pulleys that fit? I know on generators the center of the pulley is a circle but on my alt it is straight with rounded edges and the pulley has to be specific to it. And does anyone know what I would need to shop for to find that bushing?
kokodabobo
kokodabobo
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Here is the pulley at aircooled.net. The alt and gen pulley should interchange. Everyone I have seen has that hole with flat sides. As far as the bushing, I am not sure where to get them. I always just took the old ones out of the old alternator. The link below is just for illustration. I never use pulleys without the two notches like original.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Alternator-Generator-Pulley-12-Volt-043-903-109-p/043-903-109.htm
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down