Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing Ball Joints

2 posters

Go down

Installing Ball Joints Empty Installing Ball Joints

Post by macollins105 Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:48 am

Here’s a cool tool I built for installing ball joints. If you have a welder it is really easy to make. If you don’t have a welder I’m sure you could just use the pipe and beat on it. Here is a photo of a tool I built to install all four of my ball joints.

Installing Ball Joints Photo_25

Installing Ball Joints Photo_26

I went to Home Depot and bought a short six inch long pipe. The pipe is an inch and a half. It was about four bucks. It fits the outer ring of the ball joint perfect for knocking it in without damaging it. The pipe was threaded on both ends so I cut one of the threaded ends off to make it stronger around the ball joint. The key is to use a large hammer and keep the ball joint lined up straight when you start. All four of mine went in without a problem and in no time at all.

I tried using the universal ball joint kit from Oreilly auto parts but the pipes included don’t fit the VW ball joints. I thought I would post this to give someone an idea for installing ball joints without a press or expensive tool.
macollins105
macollins105
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-05-06

Back to top Go down

Installing Ball Joints Empty Re: Installing Ball Joints

Post by brucerodz Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:06 am

Good tech. Thanks for sharing !! cheers cheers
brucerodz
brucerodz
Dub Noob