Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

idles fine, but dies when i give it gas

5 posters

Go down

idles fine, but dies when i give it gas Empty idles fine, but dies when i give it gas

Post by kokodabobo Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:04 pm

not sure exactly whats going on. it was running fine, but i took a trip and it started to sputter then had a hard time fireing back up. now i can get it to idle but when i give it anuy gas its rpms lower then dies. its a 1300 with an altenator with correct fuel pump. any help[ would be appreciated.
kokodabobo
kokodabobo
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

idles fine, but dies when i give it gas Empty Re: idles fine, but dies when i give it gas

Post by zabo Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:16 pm

id suspect coil or leaking carb float
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

idles fine, but dies when i give it gas Empty Re: idles fine, but dies when i give it gas

Post by kokodabobo Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:42 pm

I just replaced the carb and it seems to of helped. But if it was the coil is there any way to test and find out and would it just need to be replaced?
kokodabobo
kokodabobo
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:03 pm

you can always pull the middle wire off the distributor -hold it with some plastic handled pliers or wrap the handles with a rag, near the fan shroud or gen stand- have someone crank over the engine and check the color of the spark.

blue/white = good
yellow-weak
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ggaagg57 Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 pm

be sure to ck points and timing.
ggaagg57
ggaagg57
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by kokodabobo Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm gonna do the valves points and timing in the morning. And ill check the coil. Hopefully its just one of those
kokodabobo
kokodabobo
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by kokodabobo Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14 pm

ok so its not the coil or the carb. havent did the points and timing yet, but im having a hard time getting it to start again, it just doesnt get enough to turn it over. i had the pin come loose from my fuel pump not to long ago the the arm sway on that the push rod pumps on and i was thinking maybe thats the problem? its the right length for the alt fuel pump and i had to sand the push rod to get it to fit. could it be that the push rod needs more sanding?
kokodabobo
kokodabobo
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:36 am

kokodabobo wrote:ok so its not the coil or the carb. havent did the points and timing yet, but im having a hard time getting it to start again, it just doesnt get enough to turn it over. i had the pin come loose from my fuel pump not to long ago the the arm sway on that the push rod pumps on and i was thinking maybe thats the problem? its the right length for the alt fuel pump and i had to sand the push rod to get it to fit. could it be that the push rod needs more sanding?

Pop in an electric fuel pump and you'll solve the fuel pump issues- the small Facet pump that everyone sells works fine with a stock carb, or dual carbs

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1378852
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by kokodabobo Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:13 am

Solved the problem. Set the points and timing and put on an electric pump and she runs like a champ again. Thanks for the help
kokodabobo
kokodabobo
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:44 am

Just remember that electric fuel pumps will run so long as they have power. If you are ever in an accident, they will keep spewing gas even if the engine stalls, if the key is still "on". May want to look into getting a relay for that pump.

I have this one on my bug. It uses the negative signal from the coil, which is great, cause I was able to easily wire it in line with my tach. It's kinda pricey, but it works great and will shut the pump off if the car stalls.
http://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html

There is also a rabbit relay that is cheaper and does the same thing, but I think it works off of the oil pressure switch. I tried one of those first, but couldn't get it to work correctly.

fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ggaagg57 Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:47 am

was the fuel in the carb or filter before you put the pump on .
ggaagg57
ggaagg57
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by kokodabobo Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:15 pm

having new problems now. it was running fine again, then my battery was bad so i put in a brand new one. now when i put it in 1st and go over 5 mph the car jumps really hard. feels like if its not getting enough rpms to be in gear and it starts to stall when i let the clutch out. the fuel filter has plenty of gas in it so it should be getting enough fuel. the carb sound more airy than normal. any idea what may have happened? it just jumps around hard as soon as i put it in 1st, reverse works fine though.
kokodabobo
kokodabobo
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by kokodabobo Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 pm

So I put new points and a condensor on and it runs like a champ again. Idk why it was acting like that but that seems to of fixed the problem
kokodabobo
kokodabobo
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down