Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what year is my new car?

3 posters

Go down

what year is my new car? Empty what year is my new car?

Post by redneck_davis Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:57 pm

YNew to the whole VW thing but old to a good deal. Scooped up my 73 baja and got it running and experimented w a $50 paint job. Liked the results. Always tinkering but for the most part reliable and fun.

So when i ran across two cars and a truck bed full of parts for a few hundred i could not pass it up.
So i got a 71 super w an auto trans. Its already sold for the same price i paid for everything.
What i kept for my self is 2 motors and an empty machined case with new parts to fill it. And a.pile of odds and ends from God only knows where or what. I kept whats believed to be a 66 or 67 standard beetle. There is a riveted plate on the frojt below gas tank but no year. And there isnt a tag on the doorway like the other 2 i have. The vin number aint on the dash in the corner either. .WTF?
Please help
redneck_davis
redneck_davis
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2012-10-23

Back to top Go down

what year is my new car? Empty Re: what year is my new car?

Post by pwmcguire Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:01 pm

look on the frame tunnel under the rear seat, right in front of the access hole for the shifter coupling, you may have to clean it real good to see it.
pwmcguire
pwmcguire
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:09 pm

The riveted tag you saw below the gas tank will also have the body's vin number. If it starts with 116....., that would indicate a 1966. 117....would be a 67.

Prior to 1966, the vin number was formatted differently and can't be read the same way

Check to see if the number under the gas tanks agrees to the number under the back seat.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by redneck_davis Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Anything useful i noticed. .
Wide 5 pattern wheels.. transaxle has a uv or some sort of boot covered joint at both ends of driveshalfs. . Non louvered hood. .seperate gas gauge from the 90 mph speedo. All metal painted dash. 12volt sticker in driver door jam. 2wing steering wheel. Rusty floor w live mouse. No key in the ignition..gas fill inside trunk. Plastic resivors for brakes and wipers below gas tank in front. . No cowl vents for fresh air?. And vw badge on front trunk. Key hole in the thumb button on door handles
redneck_davis
redneck_davis
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by redneck_davis Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

117. Both places. . Preciate it guys. . Now ill work on findin the mouse before he finds me. .lol
redneck_davis
redneck_davis
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down