Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fan Shroud rubbing!?

3 posters

Go down

Fan Shroud rubbing!? Empty Fan Shroud rubbing!?

Post by superfox1 Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:41 pm

So after replacing the flywheel, I put everything back together and now the fan shroud is rubbing. I have tried and tried to readjust but it keeps rubbing. I can't turn the alt freely. Any suggestions? It is driving me insane.

superfox1
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Fan Shroud rubbing!? Empty Re: Fan Shroud rubbing!?

Post by fluxcap Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:55 pm

You've got a trike right? Did you remove the shroud when pulling the engine?
If you pulled the shroud/alt together as one unit, I can't think of anything that would cause it to get unaligned that bad to where it wouldn't even spin.
100% positive nothing fell into the fan area when putting the engine back in?
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by superfox1 Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Yeah, its a trike. I pulled it all apart. I had the shroud and everything apart, just wanting to check things out. Seems like it is off track or something. And positive nothing fell in. I can move the shroud around and it stopps rubbing, but once I tighten things down it rubs again.

superfox1
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Ah, well if you had it all apart then anything is possible! Laughing Not sure if you took the fan off the alternator, but I believe there are some thin spacer/washers on the fan side of the alternator that help keep the fan spaced correctly inside the shroud. Perhaps one of these was put back on out of order and the fan got mis-aligned. I'd pull the shroud and alternator of the engine as one unit and give it a few spins on the ground and you should be able tell which side of the fan shroud the fan is hitting. May be something more simpler though, hopefully somebody else will chime in with some other things to check!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by superfox1 Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Good point, I'll try that. I have been banging my head trying to figure this out. I guess I am just being lazy and not wanting to pull it all apart agin, but looks like I dont have much of a choice.

superfox1
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Is the altenator sitting all the way down on the stand? Make sure the shroud is all the way down as well. I had one care that the alt wouldn't sit all the way down no matter what, and when I tightened the strap down it would make the fan rub the shroud. I made a shim and slid it under the alt and voila no more rubbing.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down