Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General question about vintage plates.....

5 posters

Go down

General question about vintage plates..... Empty General question about vintage plates.....

Post by Das Boot Mon May 09, 2011 3:27 pm

If you have a custom vintage plate made for you, can you run that one, as long as it is color correct to the year, and has raised lettering, and made of metal?

I'm thinking of ordering one and taking up to the dmv with my normal plate and trying to run the custom made one.

I've heard of people doing this and am wondering if they really inspect the tag to see if it is actually, say a 1955 plate....or if they just check the numbers and make sure there is not another already out there on a car.

thanks.

Das Boot
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

General question about vintage plates..... Empty Re: General question about vintage plates.....

Post by ASBug Mon May 09, 2011 4:22 pm

I think that they just check the #.
And it has to be older than 1970.
I believe that was the only 2 requirements, I was trying a 1972 (w sticker) and it was a no go.
KC
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

General question about vintage plates..... Empty Re: General question about vintage plates.....

Post by fluxcap Mon May 09, 2011 5:27 pm

Randy, Major62 on here, has a custom 62 tag on his car. He tried telling me how it got it registered once, but we were in our cars rolling through a parking lot and I couldn't really hear him too well.

General question about vintage plates..... MariettaDinerCruise063

fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Das Boot Mon May 09, 2011 6:09 pm

I think you just have to bring it up to the county tag office and hope they don't care or question if its a "custom" plate....

We're going to order one for evelyn.

Das Boot
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 pm

So you're the guy that got Evelyn. You lucky dog you!!! Hopefully I'll still get to see that car in person someday.

Judging by some of the tags I've seen in Georgia (rusted to the point you can't even read them), I don't think the Georgia DMV judges plates very hard. Nothing like they do over in California. You'll probably be jut fine.

However, if it doesn't pass, there is another option, but it'll cost you a little more. I've read some people do this in California. Get a regular legal vanity plate that says the same thing your custom 55 tag says. You'll be able to easily register the vanity plate and the computer system will just show what the vanity plate says. Then slap your custom plate on, and if you ever get pulled over, the tag number the cop types in, will match what the computer shows for your car.

fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Tue May 10, 2011 4:40 am

(The Dude could be a genius!) Cool
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue May 10, 2011 5:35 am

Don Hall wrote:(The Dude could be a genius!) Cool
(In my best Lebowski voice) Well yeah man.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Das Boot Wed May 11, 2011 1:03 pm

The dude abides.......

Das Boot
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 Sat May 14, 2011 2:07 pm

fluxcap wrote:Randy, Major62 on here, has a custom 62 tag on his car. He tried telling me how it got it registered once, but we were in our cars rolling through a parking lot and I couldn't really hear him too well.

General question about vintage plates..... MariettaDinerCruise063

This picture looks familiar.
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sat May 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Haha, I had to search through about 50 threads before I finally found a clear pic of his tag!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down