Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

factory air conditioner

3 posters

Go down

factory air conditioner Empty factory air conditioner

Post by insanepaddler Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi,
I am new to the site but i have a 1972 transporter with a factory air conditioner. I am trying to find any information i can about it because i am having an impossible time figuring out whether to keep it or trade for a front nose for my bus. If you look at my profile pic its right in the middle of it. Any information is awesome.

Thanks
insanepaddler
insanepaddler
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

factory air conditioner Empty Re: factory air conditioner

Post by LB Bedwell Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 pm

My 74 had the same in it when I got it and I think it was one of the first things I pulled off of it along with all the lines, condensors fans etc.. it was about 70lbs worth of crap with the compressor, I was told it was an American dealer installed item to help sales in the southern states and I could tell when uninstalling that was definantly an after factory kit, all the bolts and screws had standard heads and comparatively to the ingenuity of any other VW part was at best "half ass" and not to mention when the clutch on the compressor engaged it nearly killed the engine at idle, I dont think the type four motor was designed to have such a drain on the front of the motor and not to mention how it pisses the purist off lol, the only thing that was good about it was the plastic skeleton of that hangs right behind your head makes an excellent speaker housing Cool
LB Bedwell
LB Bedwell
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2010-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 pm

if im not mistaken, the busses also used the same type of compressor found on bugs, york or tecumseh (i may be mistaken tho, if i am, my bad). if this is the case, they do sell some aftermarket kits for busses, that use newer style compressors, that take less then 1HP to drive. the york style compressors were used on old fords. i have a 73 comet with york compressor, and even with a straight 6, it still boggs the motor down considerably. so i can imagine how bad it must be on a bus motor. But if you don't mind the perfoemance drain, it sure it nice to have some cold air in the summer Cool
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by insanepaddler Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:46 am

Awesome info, the speaker housing idea sounds pretty cool.
insanepaddler
insanepaddler
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down