Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MPG i know but just help me

5 posters

Go down

MPG i know but just help me Empty MPG i know but just help me

Post by PeeWeeMan91 Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:26 am

so I drive almost 100 miles each day to school at gordon and its 55 all the way down there and if i do my calculations right im only getting 20 mpg bad good what? just lemme know
PeeWeeMan91
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

MPG i know but just help me Empty Re: MPG i know but just help me

Post by Bugman114 Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:55 am

thats about normal. usually the average is anywhere from 20-30. even tho its summer, make sure your pre heat is working, and also make sure your heatrisers aren't clogged. the more heat you have, the leaner you can run the carb. and the colder the carb gets, the more fuel will condense. when the fuel condenses, it won't burn, thus you have to run richer. this is especially true during the winter. If your still runnin the stock aircleaner, i like to plug up the intake, so the carb gets all of the air from the stove pipe. last year, i just took off the air filter, attached a freash air hose directly over the carb, stuck the other end of the fresh air pipe, under the pushrod tubes, and clamped a small K&N air filter to the end, so the carb was sucking in nothing but hot air. Got about 25mpg city, and noticed it ran a lot smoother. even in 20 degree weather, the carb was nice and warm.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:16 pm

yeah mike im still running the stock air cleaner with the stove pipe do u think its a tune up issue or octane i mean my buddie was running 89 and getting 27mpg
PeeWeeMan91
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:35 pm

on a stock motor it really won't matter. octane is nothing more then fuel's ability to resist igniting under compression. so the more octane, the harder it is to ignite under compression, which is good for high compression, and highperfomance motors. On a stock motor, you really wouldn't see any noticeable diffrerence. On my 2074, it hates high octane. when i filled up with 93, i was bearly able to get over 75mph. when i refilled with 87 i was able to hit 90 no problem. If your motor is overheating, or timing is set wrong, or even if you have a worn out distributor, higher octane might mask some of the problems. It just depends.

Be sure to check the basics, as they will kill your MPG if any of it is wrong. Tire pressure, dwell, timing, check the plugs and clean or replace if nessesary, etc. also check the tranny fluid. if the fluid is too low, it could be overheating, and robbing valuable HP from your motor.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:50 pm

My 1300 DP aparantly has domed pistons and is running 7.5 : 1 compression.
Is the low grade still OK?
I think normal compression is like 7.2 to 1.
Just wondering...
IT seems to run OK on Low test, but it is a strange bird.
KC
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:36 pm

well, it depends on a LOT of factors. the only way to know for sure is run it, and see how it runs. most VW's required 87 octane. But germany uses the ron system of octane level (in the gas door is says 91 RON). here in the US, we use AKI. 91 RON is equal to 87 AKI. so if it has a little more compression then stock you should still be ok with 87, but you won't know till you try different octanes. if it runs good with 87, try 89. if it runs better, then i'd stick with that. but again, all cars are different, and its impossible to say weather or not your particular car will run with a certain octane. if it runs worse with 89, or you notice a lack of power, stick with 87 octane. whatever makes your motor happy cyclops
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by vwtattooed Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:47 pm

wow...i guess all those guys that are building 800+ hp engines should stop wasting their money on race fuel!!! make sure your timing is correct, points gapped correctly, plugs gapped correctly. make sure valves are properly adjusted and the carb is adjusted properly...air/fuel ratio is key to fuel economy. fuel mileage will also be affected by tire size/ inflation. 25 mpg is a respectable number to expect from your engine.
vwtattooed
vwtattooed
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:57 pm

thats not what i meant, lol. were talking about stock motors. 800hp race motors have incredible compression, and will need a hell of a lot higher octane. everycar i have ever owned (VW, and not VW), always got worse mileage, and less power, if i ran premium. my old 92 hyndai, my current 02 galant, my 95 gmc van, my 73 comet, 74 super, and my 72 super. if i ran premium, the mileage went dow a little, and it had noticabley less power. how can you explain that then? don't get me wrong, i may be wrong (and i prolly am, lol), but i'm just going from personal experience here, and a lot of internet sites, as well as some guys on thesamba had said the exact same thing.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:15 pm

I never replied here but the 1300 in Jade gets 28-30 mpg Twisted Evil
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General