Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1973 Ghia Questions - Plenty of Questions...

3 posters

Go down

1973 Ghia Questions - Plenty of Questions... Empty 1973 Ghia Questions - Plenty of Questions...

Post by ASBug Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:39 am

****I edited the original Title of this thread so that I could Recycle it as a general Questions thead...
-Just being Green....*****
Everyone,
I am going to go and look at a 1973 ghia and plan to flat tow it home.
I have a set of 1972 beetle steelies that I am going to put some new tires on. (current tires are toast and I'll need some new ones any way...)
I am only able to source the 165 80 R 15's locally.
I am a fan of the Empi 8 spoke, but have heard that there is fitment problems in the rear on ghias (15X 5.5 seems to be all I find used...)
What is the largest tire that I can get under a non modified rear fender on a 1973 ghia?
I wish to get a tire that I can put on the bug wheels and then possibly move to an alloy later on if I find a set of narrower 5" empi's to use.

The steelies that I have are 5" standard bug wheels. I have heard that the Ghais used 4.5 Wide wheels...

Thanks for any help, or personel experiences.
KC Very Happy

Last edited by ASBug on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

1973 Ghia Questions - Plenty of Questions... Empty Re: 1973 Ghia Questions - Plenty of Questions...

Post by ASBug Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:50 pm

Bump,
Want to get this this weekend and want to make sure I'm not going to regret putting 165 80 R15's on it....
Thanks,
KC Very Happy
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Back to top Go down

1973 Ghia Questions - Plenty of Questions... Empty Re: 1973 Ghia Questions - Plenty of Questions...

Post by Bugman114 Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Those are the same tires i have on my bug, and no issues. I've seen people use bigger tires then that on ghia's with no problems. A buddy of mine has a crunchy baja ghia (pretty much stock, cept for bigger wheels/ tires, stock height), and he has some pretty big tires on there and alot wider. not sure exactly what tire, but they are some mud tires, and are a bit taller then my tires, and either 205 or 215 wide. so i see no issues with 165 80 15's. i hear on a bug you can use up to a 31 inch tall tire before it hits the long torsion bar extension on the springplate. but not sure about width. hope that helps.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:33 am

I think the tires are the same bug to ghia, but ghia rims are like 914, and t4 rims and have a different offset. Do not know the numbers but you can see about a 3/4-1" difference on the offset. I seem to remember that I could run stock beetle rims on it with no issues, but plenty of issues with aftermarket rims.
meinvw
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:33 am

Just for information's sake,
I went with the 185 65 R15 Goodyear Viva2's on stock 5" beetle steelies.

Tire's tuck nice and I believe that I could have gone with a 195 60 or 65 R15 and been OK on the width.
Just an FYI.

I believe that the Ghia steelies are 4.5" wide, I'm gonna sand blast them and look at the #'s.
KC Very Happy
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:00 pm

*****I edited the original Title of this thread so that I could Recycle it as a general Questions thead...
-Just being Green....*****

I need some pointers about lifting points, techniques and heads ups for seperating a ghia body from it's chassis.

I am thinking about:
1- getting some help and lifting it up by my hand, or
2- roping off to some trees and lifting it off that way with come alongs (need lift point ideas...).

I have a friend that has a lift, but no way to move it home afterwards...
Ahh the journey begins.

Thanks,
KC

Oh yeah - The Ghia wheels are 4.5" wide I seem to have all the original wheels (same month).
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:11 pm

I have a new set of pans, full left and right. I was told that I could replace these with out having to take off the body. I pulled out the stuff from the interior and gave it the once over, It looks like the pan will need to be installed from the bottom. If so, It appears that I'll have to relocate the hole pattern on the outside rails. Aslo I'll have to reattach the jackpoints.
Any heads up on this?
Thanks,
KC. Very Happy
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down