Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'39 Chevy Master 85 Business Coupe

Go down

'39 Chevy Master 85 Business Coupe Empty '39 Chevy Master 85 Business Coupe

Post by 39coupe Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:32 pm

I've slowly been working on this since I brought it home from storage in IL. I've had this car since I was 13 years old. (many years) I reworked the engine, brakes, etc.. 14 years ago. Drove the car around to local shows in IL for a few years and then moved to GA in 2000. I had the car in my fathers garage and he started up and drove it to local shows for a couple of years but has left it sitting for the past 5 years.

I brought it home back in April of this year and slowly took the engine down to a long block, didn't want to get into the heads and bearings etc.. so I just took everything off of it, cleaned it up, painted a few things and put it back together with new gaskets. Also drained all of the old nasty gas out of the tank and added fresh gas with a little bit of seafoam.

The front wheel cylinders were locked up so I rebuilt the front brakes and the master cylinder. Finally got brakes on it this past weekend. Changed out the points, condenser, cap, rotor, and plugs and it started right up and ran great. Drove the car around a little bit on Sunday and was so excited at how well it ran.

Monday I fired it up and headed for the gas station. Got out of our subdivision and about a block down the road and it started spitting and sputtering and died on me. Had to tow it back home. Pulled the carb off and it was full of crap again.

So currently the gas tank is out and at Sim's radiator getting cleaned out and lined, new rebuild kit for the carb is on the way and the carb has been gutted and cleaned so it is ready for the rebuild once the kit gets here.

Hope to have it on the road again soon, 3-7 days for the gas tank and then we will try again.

On the trailer coming home from IL.
'39 Chevy Master 85 Business Coupe DSC02883

Finally at home and in the garage
'39 Chevy Master 85 Business Coupe DSC02885
'39 Chevy Master 85 Business Coupe DSC02886

Nasty looking engine bay.
'39 Chevy Master 85 Business Coupe DSC02893
'39 Chevy Master 85 Business Coupe DSC02896

Work begins.
'39 Chevy Master 85 Business Coupe DSC02912
'39 Chevy Master 85 Business Coupe DSC02907

Brakes looking better.