Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Vent (Pop-out) Windows Question

+3
39coupe
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
EngineerTEN
7 posters

Go down

Rear Vent (Pop-out) Windows Question Empty Rear Vent (Pop-out) Windows Question

Post by EngineerTEN Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:39 pm

Does anyone know if you can install the rear vent windows into a beetle that did not come thay way from the factory? If so, what is required?

Thanks,
EngineerTEN
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Rear Vent (Pop-out) Windows Question Empty Re: Rear Vent (Pop-out) Windows Question

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:48 pm

Yeah you can. I am not sure what year was the first year they started putting the holes in for the pop out window option. If yours doesnt have it then all you have to do is put the window in and mark the holes and drill them. Three in the back and five or more on the window seal at the b pillar.
Bryce
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Rear Vent (Pop-out) Windows Question Empty Re: Rear Vent (Pop-out) Windows Question

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:53 pm

Also if you dont have the holes then you might want to check any late model beetle for the way the holes look and that will give you an idea of where they will go and how they should look.
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:43 am

I believe they didn't start pre-drilling on all cars until '65. One of these days I'm going to pull the old headliner from my parts '65 and I'll get pictures. Just not sure when that day will be.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:38 am

I did this about a month ago in my 62. Like Bryce said, put the popout in place and mark where the holes should be. Then drill them. When drilling, you must be very careful with the headliner and padding or it will get wrapped up and pull and look like crap. The front hinge holes weren't that bad, since there isn't any padding under the lip. For these, I marked the holes, used and exacto knife to cut the headliner (it will be covered by the hinged, so it doesn't matter), and then drilled. For the rear latch, I marked the holes (I had four holes in a : : pattern) and then used the exacto again to cut slits from each hole to make X pattern. This way I could open the headliner, and remove any padding that may be in the way. The X cut will be covered by the latch. You really MUST to get the padding completely out of the way of the drill bit, otherwise it will bunch up, no matter how slow you drill. Good luck, it really wasn't hard, just go slow.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:01 am

If you haven't already got the pop outs shop around. I found some at a show for 4 bucks and was is better shape then some I seen for 100 bucks.

Joe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://ATVW.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:37 am

Joe wrote:If you haven't already got the pop outs shop around. I found some at a show for 4 bucks and was is better shape then some I seen for 100 bucks.
I'll give you five for them!
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Pop-out prices vary depending on the year. 64 and earlier pop-outs are usually more expensive than the 65 and up sets. Shows are a great place for deals though. I got my set of early pop-outs at bug-a-paluza a few years ago for $190, and unlike most used sets, the seller had already replaced the rubber Very Happy. I was very happy with that price, as they are usually listed for $250-300 and need new rubber.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by daltondragger73 Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:30 am

There is 2 vw junkyards in dalton both of them have alot of popouts in most of the cars there... I am on the road for a couple more weeks and then ill be home for the 1st NGA meet an ill check on the years but you could prob. pick a set up for 40bucks and you will need to get new seals but wolfburg has em for 20-25 for a set of seals
daltondragger73
daltondragger73
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by EngineerTEN Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:38 pm

That sounds great. Please let me know. Mine is a 1960.
EngineerTEN
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:56 pm

When searching for pop-outs, always remember the easiest way to tell what years they fit is the latch. On 65 and up popouts, the rear latch attaches through a hole in the the glass. On 64 and down, the rear latch attaches to the aluminum frame.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by daltondragger73 Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:03 pm

Ill keep that in mind when I go hunting Wink
daltondragger73
daltondragger73
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down