Any local Gwinnett stores that stock classic VW parts?

Go down

Any local Gwinnett stores that stock classic VW parts? Empty Any local Gwinnett stores that stock classic VW parts?

Post by Russ on Tue May 26, 2009 10:29 am

Hello everyone. I just bought a 68 beetle from a friend of mine last week. It's drivable but pretty rough. I was wondering and hoping that someone may know of a store in the area that stocks a few things for the classic VWs. Maybe even an Advance or Oreillys with a VDub-Head working there who keeps a few things in stock. I'm really anxious to get a pair of valve cover gaskets soon. Also does anyone know where to find any fuses for the classics?

Here's a rundown of my 68:

I bought it and drove it home, nothing electrical worked. It has dual Brosol carbs that desperately need rebuilding on a 1600 DP engine and a stinger style exhuast. 1-piece front windows and a lame aftermarket sunroof which I plan to replace with an original ragtop clip later down the road. The car is 75% pink and has a small oil drip from the (US) drivers' side valve cover onto the heater box / exhaust. Needs floor pans but I have a welder and metal experience so I'm not expecting a big deal.

I visited Pull-A-Part in Lithonia over the weekend to check out the 71 beetle they have on their lot. It was pretty well stripped but I ended up getting a few switches from a 1974 Toyota Corolla that seemed to match the round style of the beetle's switches. I wired in the Corolla headlight and wiper switches using the wiring diagram I found over at Samba. The parking, head, bright, and taillights all work as they should, as do the off / lo / hi speed for the wipers. I had to open up and rework the wiper switch for everything to work correctly.

I am thinking about mounting and wiring in a position activated brake light switch rather than using the pressure activated switches. My dad's 60 Triumph TR3A uses the pressure style switch and they don't work so great from my experience. Not to mention I can't even see the master cylinder behind the wheel but then again I just peeked under the car for a brief second.

Thanks in advance everyone. I hope to make it out to Starbucks this Thursday. My Name is Russ, I'm 28, and will be in the mostly pink bug unless I've had time to prime it before then. See everyone there!!
Russ
Russ
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-05-26

Back to top Go down

Any local Gwinnett stores that stock classic VW parts? Empty Re: Any local Gwinnett stores that stock classic VW parts?

Post by 71_georgia_beetle on Tue May 26, 2009 10:54 am

Welcome Russ. Most Advanced or Autozones will carry what you need to stay afloat. Valve cover gaskets, points, caps, etc. Clyde (user id Clyde) operates Athens German Aircooled Parts and he is just up the road in Athens. Gary (Aircooled Addicts) works for a VW repair shop. And most of us have a spare pool of parts that we would be willing to sell, trade or give depending on the part. I have a pair of VC gaskets if you need them. Also, this weekend is Y U Buggin' and I believe Clyde will be vending and he has everything you would need. Prime or not, driving or pushing, bring it out on Thursday and join us.

Scott
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Any local Gwinnett stores that stock classic VW parts? Empty Re: Any local Gwinnett stores that stock classic VW parts?

Post by rpm750 on Tue May 26, 2009 11:38 am

Russ wrote:=I am thinking about mounting and wiring in a position activated brake light switch rather than using the pressure activated switches. My dad's 60 Triumph TR3A uses the pressure style switch and they don't work so great from my experience.
Key Word " Triumph" I think all the Britsh cars have electrical problems. The VW brake switches are pretty reliable and so is the electrical if you clean everything and keep it clean. But welcome the Dub world, any question you may have, this is the place to ask it! Wink
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ on Tue May 26, 2009 11:43 am

Great, thanks guys!!

I just asked around at work and someone told me about Myco Imported Parts around the I-285 / Hwy-78 area.

I'm going to make a few calls to a few auto parts stores in a few but if anyone has a new pair of VC gaskets they wouldn't mind parting with, let me know how much and I will meet up with you asap.

Smile
Russ
Russ
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle on Tue May 26, 2009 11:44 am

Hey! I just finished one of those British cars. Very Happy
Any local Gwinnett stores that stock classic VW parts? DSCN0762
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD on Tue May 26, 2009 2:02 pm

Welcome to the forums Russ!! 👋

Like Scott said, Clyde and Gary are a good source of parts and service. You can usually pick up stuff at most of the local shows too. I would suggest getting a Bentley service manual for your year bug and just jump in!! If you can't find your valve cover gaskets, let me know, I always keep about 5 or 6 pairs handy.

Hope to see ya on Thursday at Starbucks! :CD:
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 on Tue May 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Sorry to step on your toes there Scott. Saw that in the other post very nice! Very nice.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle on Tue May 26, 2009 5:25 pm

rpm750 wrote:Sorry to step on your toes there Scott. Saw that in the other post very nice! Very nice.
Oh you're not stepping on any toes! I was glad to get it out of my hair.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Tue May 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Don't forget Stockornaut 770-888-4909. They probably have some as well. YU Buggn Will most certainly have a pair you can get your hands on.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts on Tue May 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Hey Russ! Looks like everybody already answered all your qustion for you. If you have any more questions or need any help just let us know. As you can see this is a great group of guys and we are all happy to help a fellow VW entheusiest. Welcome to the forums and welcome to the club! Very Happy
aircooledaddicts
aircooledaddicts
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ on Wed May 27, 2009 9:06 am

I I took some advice and ordered the VC gaskets from the Advance off 20 & 316, across from the QT. They said they could have them in at 8am. I work at Toyota Mall of GA so I stopped on my way in this morning and they had them waiting for me.

I got home at 9pm lastnight after a buddy's wife's birthday dinner and refreshed both Solex Brosol carbs. All the jets and passages were gummed up and I had to make a gasket for one of them. I should be in good shape for Thurs night.

Thanks so much everyone!! I am a long-time Toyota enthusiast. I have a 1985 RWD Corolla GTS that I have built for drifting. It has full coilovers, supercharged, TRD LSD, Corbeau seat & harness, etc... On club4ag.com I'm used to dealing with a huge gaggle of a-holes, it's like every time you post you have to prove yourself to someone. This crowd seems to be the exact opposite, you guys are amazing.
Russ
Russ
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle on Wed May 27, 2009 10:42 am

Russ wrote:.. On club4ag.com I'm used to dealing with a huge gaggle of a-holes, it's like every time you post you have to prove yourself to someone. This crowd seems to be the exact opposite, you guys are amazing.
Sounds like TheSamba. On a side note, my first car was a 78 Toyota Celica and 2nd an 83 Toyota Corolla. Long live the 20R and 22R engine.
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down