Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Misfire???

5 posters

Go down

Misfire??? Empty Misfire???

Post by racecar67 Mon May 11, 2009 12:57 pm

I recently took the 2186 out of my notch and installed it into my bug. Got it running good. Took it to Steve at Proflow. He ever so slitely tweeked it and got it running great. Took it out the next day and it began to miss under load. Mad It was doing this in the notch but was random. When I changed it over I went from 40 Dells to 45's. I have even changed distributors because Steve said that the timing was jumping a little. It seams to jump still. I don't remember what cam is in it but it has 042 heads 1.25 rockers, duel springs, cromoly pushrods. I pulled the plugs and they all are fine no fouling. Any ideas????
racecar67
racecar67
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-08-06

http://www.myspace.com/vwgearhead

Back to top Go down

Misfire??? Empty Re: Misfire???

Post by fluxcap Mon May 11, 2009 3:02 pm

racecar67 wrote:I have even changed distributors because Steve said that the timing was jumping a little.

Are you running points or electronic ignitions in these distributors? I accidently left my key on for a few hours a while back and fried my pertronix. The car would still crank, idle, and drive, but under heavy load it would miss real bad and the oil light would flicker. I put my points back in and that cleared everything up.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by racecar67 Mon May 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Electronic In both two different units. Have not left the key on for any length of time. Now I have a screwed up spark plug hole pale
racecar67
racecar67
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by jshmnghm Mon May 11, 2009 8:06 pm

racecar67 wrote:Electronic In both two different units. Have not left the key on for any length of time. Now I have a screwed up spark plug hole pale

You can easily fix the spark plug hole. Buy the kit with the inserts from any parts store and follow the directions. You do not even have to remove the head. Just use a little oil on the tap to keep aluminum shavings from getting into your engine. Don't beat the new threaded insert in, just tap it gently until it sits flush with the head. It is not that big a deal. The best way is to remove the engine, remove the head, and put in a heli-coil, if you want to go that far. An insert should work just fine though.
jshmnghm
jshmnghm
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Mon May 11, 2009 8:20 pm

And remember do NOT use the helicoils that look like springs. You must use the solid (usually black) inserts, because the springy ones will not seal as well. The inserts im talking about are specifically for spark plugs, and can be purchased from pretty much any parts store. good luck with that.
-Mike
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by racecar67 Tue May 12, 2009 8:47 am

I am not taking it back out. I just got it in last weekend after spending two weeks converting it from type III to I and getting it running right. I'm going to take it up to Proflow tonight and use a thread chaser to fix it Embarassed .
Thanks for the input If I have to use the inserts I will
racecar67
racecar67
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Tue May 12, 2009 5:51 pm

What time will you be at proflow? I might come by and check out your engine.
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by racecar67 Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Its there now. Opened up one of my carbs ant it was nasty. The accelerator pump was rusted so bad that the area looked like someone had packed it full of mud. Steves going to go through them.

Last edited by racecar67 on Wed May 13, 2009 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
racecar67
racecar67
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Tue May 12, 2009 10:25 pm

that should make her run better
59suicide