Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'M A NEW OWNER OF AN OLD AND NEGLECTED '73 BEETLE & HAVE QUESTIONS

2 posters

Go down

I'M A NEW OWNER OF AN OLD AND NEGLECTED '73 BEETLE & HAVE QUESTIONS Empty I'M A NEW OWNER OF AN OLD AND NEGLECTED '73 BEETLE & HAVE QUESTIONS

Post by WILL B. BUGGED Thu May 23, 2019 2:30 pm

I'M A NEW OWNER OF AN OLD AND NEGLECTED '73 BEETLE & HAVE QUESTIONS Pic_110
I'M A NEW OWNER OF AN OLD AND NEGLECTED '73 BEETLE & HAVE QUESTIONS Pic210

I need help figuring out if I have serious issues with the suspension and bearings. It bangs pretty hard on bumps and there is kind of a rumble noise when driving her. It could possibly be normal this this age Beetle. I just need to know where to focus on, and how to get help in determining that. Thanks!!

Also, I have fixed wiring issues related to the running lights, tail lights, and brake lights, but still have issues with no horn, no dash lights, no interior lights. The wiring is pretty bad. A shop manual from O'Reilys has been marginally helpful.

WILL B. BUGGED
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-05-23

Back to top Go down

I'M A NEW OWNER OF AN OLD AND NEGLECTED '73 BEETLE & HAVE QUESTIONS Empty Re: I'M A NEW OWNER OF AN OLD AND NEGLECTED '73 BEETLE & HAVE QUESTIONS

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 am

Welcome to the site!  There's very little traffic on here these days.  Aircooled Therapy on Facebook will probably be your best place for input if you are not on there already.

The banging on bumps could just be bad shocks....possibly bad bushings if the sound is from the rear.  To check bearings jack one wheel up at a time and and spin the wheel and listen for noise.  Also alternate pulling on the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock position to see if there is play. The front is easier to take apart. Clean the bearings and all the old grease out of the drum. If the bearings look good you can repack and reinstall. The rear bearings are a little more involved. Its been a whike since i have done some irs ones and you are probably better just going off one of the workshop manuals.

Interior lights meaning dome light?  That's usually related to the switches in the door jams being corroded and need cleaning.  Check to see if there is power at the light.....should be hot coming out of the fuse box.  The door switches are the ground.

Horn could be a bad horn, horn not plugged, no power to the horn (one side is hot all the time, ground in the steering column broken or not hooked up.

Dash lights meaning warning lights or backlights? I always check to make sure the bulbs in the speedometer are good first and go from there. Speedometer backlights would be fed off light switch.  The switch is a dimmer also if you twist it right and left.  Sometimes you have to find the sweet spot to get them to come on.  If it's the warning lights check to make sure you are getting power to the speedometer with the key switch on.  Should be a black wire connected to terminal in the center toward the bottom of the speedometer.  Also check to make sure the wires are connected on the engine....one to the oil  pressure switch, second one has to do with the charging system.  Depends on if you have a generator or alternator as to how it hooks up.  Turn signal indicator on the speedometer is driven off the turn signal flasher
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

JWILL likes this post

Back to top Go down