Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil pump for an engine build

3 posters

Go down

oil pump for an engine build Empty oil pump for an engine build

Post by Dodgerdog Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:57 pm

to those in the know.  I am thinking of getting a new oil pump with the fitting on it for an oil filter.  JC Whitney sells one for use with a dish cam for 68 dollars and it seems like a good price.  some of the other websites have similar products and it says it will not work with a standard or merged tube header exhaust which I have already purchased, I also think it said it wouldn't work with the preheater tubes on the left side either.  I'm just tired of having to drop the screen every oil change and it seems an oil filter would be better protection.
Is anybody using one of these and running either a stock or a merged header
Dodgerdog
Dodgerdog
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2014-12-27

Back to top Go down

oil pump for an engine build Empty Re: oil pump for an engine build

Post by 68vwnut Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:22 pm

Several ideas come to mind, but questions are involved.

Ever thought about doghouse cooler bypass and run separate oil cooler and filter locations. This way you can run a better cooling system and use a spin on ph8 filter at an isolated location, say under a fender well.

How about tapping for full flow and then using an isolated filter? Again a spin on ph8 or even a Berg filter. This would depend on whether you want to disassemble the engine. The metal shavings when you tap the engine case for full flow may backwash into the engine ruining the bearings least of all.

Other idea is to get one of those oil pump plate covers that bold on and allows you to put an isolated spin on filter. Again a ph8.

I think I have one of those plates laying around. I can look. Also have a Berg filter somewhere.

Hope I could help.
68vwnut
68vwnut
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Hey Tony,
Most people would probably tell you to stay away from JC Whitney if you want a decent part.  Some of their stuff may be ok, but I probably wouldn't want to buy an engine part from there.

This page has some oil pump covers with in and out ports that you can run hoses to/from for a remotely mounted filter.
http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=254

compatible filter mounts can be found here
http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=256
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgerdog Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:20 pm

thanks Eric they do have some nice items