Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1969 Ghia Vert w/1776 SP - Thoughts and Suggestions appreciated.

4 posters

Go down

1969 Ghia Vert w/1776 SP - Thoughts and Suggestions appreciated. Empty 1969 Ghia Vert w/1776 SP - Thoughts and Suggestions appreciated.

Post by ASBug Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:46 am

Hey guys (and Gals),
I am typically a near stock or a stock guy so I am going to ask for some help here for my non stock Ghia questions.

Engine: Dual relief case that was opened up to be a 1776, the engine has a stock type crank, nos German rods and had a Mahle set of 1776 P&C installed.
It is running the stock cam (I bought it this way), and is an 8.5:1 compression engine.
The heads are SP and were opened up for the P&C engine is a bus case and engine was built for a bus application.
I am running 40-41 Solex Kadron on a NOS uncut steel SP intake set up. Distributor is a 019 advancing to 30* at full advance.
I have removed the heater boxes and have an equal distant piping 4 into 1 header that is 1 5/8" diameter going into a dual Quiet pack set up.
I have a pertronix and a new aluminum cased Bosch coil.

Question 1) I still have the 28mm venturi's in the carb. I had to go to the 135 mains to get rid of the popping I was having from running lean with the 130's.
When I am at 1/3 cruising pedal I am feeling a series of hesitation/surging in the engine. Not egregious, but noticeable.
Under load = no popping. Idle = bueno, just when at 1/3 throttle I can feel it.
It feels like when you have hit a light head wind for a second on the interstate, but it is calm air. Definately a surging from the engine...

Question 2) Power band is at 2800 ~5000 RPM at 5200 rpm the engine sounds like a lion roaring out of the carbs. Is this because if the stock cam?
Will the 1.4:1 ratio rockers help? (this is a SP and most of the recommendations I see are for DP applications.

Also, I have an early dual sided IRS in the Ghia that seems to have been reworked. The RPM vs. Speeds with the old 1500 SP seemed to indicate a Freeway Flier.
In general, can a Freeway flyer sustain the shifting like this:
2nd to 3rd at 45 MPH, 3rd to 4th at 65 MPH @ 4500 rpm.
Power band is at 2800 ~5000 RPM at 5200 rpm the engine sounds like a lion roaring out of the carbs.
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

1969 Ghia Vert w/1776 SP - Thoughts and Suggestions appreciated. Empty Re: 1969 Ghia Vert w/1776 SP - Thoughts and Suggestions appreciated.

Post by vw57drvr Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Do yourself a favor and rent, or buy a wide band. Aircooled.net rents them. That is the only real way to know what the engine is doing. I have dual Kadrons and mine does the same thing. My carbs just suck and are worn out. They are very temperamental and if the shafts have play in them, they will never be right.
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

1969 Ghia Vert w/1776 SP - Thoughts and Suggestions appreciated. Empty Re: 1969 Ghia Vert w/1776 SP - Thoughts and Suggestions appreciated.

Post by ASBug Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:46 pm

The shafts on mine are tight, I am thinking I have the air mix off a bit. Thanks for the heads up on the wide band analyzer. If I put an o2 sensor in each side I guess I could tune each head individually...
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Do you have the set up guide for carbs. Kaddy shack has the smack to get ya straight. It's a good read . Half your problem is carbs other half is the parts and time someone waisted on that motor. Good luck
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Perhaps I have not made my self clear that I am really enjoying this engine. I am ok with the amount of monies I have in this set up. I will get the very MINOR surging fixed. I do have a kadron book, but totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. I will get it out and peruse the pages once again...
As stated earlier, even though it has a stock cam it pulls hard to about 5200 rpm. I am ok with that because I know that it is way faster than I can hold it on the road (lift).
I was hoping for a rocker tutorial.
Bottom line this is a great engine, ran great on the single carb, runs like a bat outta... with these carbs.

I am also concerned that the trans is the weak link in this set up... Lol.
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:11 pm

ASBug wrote:The shafts on mine are tight, I am thinking I have the air mix off a bit. Thanks for the heads up on the wide band analyzer. If I put an o2 sensor in each side I guess I could tune each head individually...

The O2 sensor needs to be in a collector. You might could do one side at a time, but I have never done it like that. You are probably very very close with the jet. Maybe go up one size. How many RPM are you turning when you get the surge? Are you into the mains or still on idles? You might want to drop down to 28 degrees on the timing.
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:40 pm

I think the surging is more to do with throttle position than RPM.
It is more noticeable at about 1/3 constant throttle.
I am going to check and make sure I do not have an intake leak on either head, but I do not hear any back popping in the intakes.
I'll get it out on the interstate this weekend and open it up.
I will be at SAP - If any one sees Jenny, I will not be far away.
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Attack chicken Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:35 pm

You may want to check sync. I had a very similar situation with a pair of webers that only surged at light cruise load...there was no problems at idle or off cruise conditions. They were out of sync by just a little, part of my problem was worn/cheap linkage from side to side and that always makes it hard to get and keep carb synchronization. Just a thought.

Attack chicken
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Thank AC. You coming back to Chatt this weekend?
ASBug
ASBug
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Attack chicken Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

No problem! I can't make it this weekend..I have company. It's been awhile since I've been to Chattanooga, always something going on that keeps me from doing stuff lol!

Attack chicken
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:47 pm

ASBug wrote:I think the surging is more to do with throttle position than RPM.
It is more noticeable at about 1/3 constant throttle.
I am going to check and make sure I do not have an intake leak on either head, but I do not hear any back popping in the intakes.
I'll get it out on the interstate this weekend and open it up.
I will be at SAP - If any one sees Jenny, I will not be far away.

If thats the case then it could be a sync problem. RPM tells you where you are having a problem if its jetting.
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum