Engine shut off, then oil light came on

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Engine shut off, then oil light came on

Post by Bugman114 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 am

The car in question:
74 super. Stock 1600dp with turbo and webber 2bbl progressive

Hi yall. i was driving home the other day (it was kinda cold). and all of a sudden the engine started loosing power bad. i had to rev it hard, and ride the clutch pedal to get it to keep going, cause there was nowhere to pull off. so i finally pull off, and it has very little power. I have to tap the pedal to get it to rev up, and it does but any little load and it almost dies. So i sit there idleing and i try again, and its fine. i'm able to just drive off, so going home i take this long curve, and of course i'm going about 50mph aound it, an the oil light comes on for about 2 seconds and shuts back off. so that scared the hell out of me. i pull over and check the oil and its pretty low, but right on the add line.

i check to see if the crank pulley or dipstick is hot and it's NOT. so i don't think i was overheating. so i thow a quart of good ole castrol synthetic, and i'm on my way. but it then occurs to me that the engine running bad may have been linked so i pull over again, and shut it off for a minutes to let it cool down "just in case". so i drive home no problem after that. But when i get home i realize the belt is off, dangling on the intake from the turbo (intake pipe runs thru the belt). but i'm not sure if the belt was off when the engine was acting funny. I'm pretty sure i would have noticed that when i went to check the oil, but not sure. if it was overheating, and running crappy like that, would it have just gone away like that and run fine? wouldn't it get worse? do you think i may have screwed something up? i drove it today to work, and raced my co-worker afterwards at about 80mph (i won, lol). and it ran great. no smoking or lack of power. any ideas on what the lack of power was?

Thanks
-Mike
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2460
Registration date : 2008-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine shut off, then oil light came on

Post by camch on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:11 am

what size oil line do you have running to the turbo? Also the turbo might be starting to seize up
camch
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://yubuggin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:30 pm

well, i have the line restricted, cause when i just had the line it somoked like crazy. then i put a smaller line inside that and clamped it down. then i kept tightening it till it stopped smoking. it still smokes sometimes, so i know its still getting oil. i can hear the turbo spooling up fine. i don't specifically remember if the turbo was spooling up on the side of the orad or not.
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2460
Registration date : 2008-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top