Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help again... Points and condenser.

+11
bumblebuggy
DiggerD
ggaagg57
fluxcap
type4revolution
vw57drvr
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Gabass
ridikas
Jon65
Brooks424
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Need help again... Points and condenser.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Need help again... Points and condenser.

Post by ridikas Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:48 am

There is a wire behind the drivers side rear seat. If it is disconnected your car will not start. Sometimes they wiggle loose
ridikas
ridikas
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2013-04-13

Back to top Go down

Need help again... Points and condenser.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Need help again... Points and condenser.

Post by vw57drvr Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:25 am

There is no wire on early beetles, except for the battery cable. You said it almost fired. That is progress, so we know it is getting fire sometimes. I am going to go back through this post to see if I missed something. The center electrode didnt fall out of the distributor cap did it?
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:48 pm

My guess is that the new condenser is bad. I would put the old one back on and see what happens....
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Can't help you with points and a condenser because I've never needed them in the 15 years I've been daily driving my cars.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Brooks424 Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:39 pm

So in case I missed something, why did you waste the time to comment? Just curious.
Brooks424
Brooks424
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2011-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 pm

bumblebuggy wrote:Can't help you with points and a condenser because I've never needed them in the 15 years I've been daily driving my cars.
Brooks424 wrote:So in case I missed something, why did you waste the time to comment? Just curious.

hes telling you to get electronic ignition
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Yeah, like Peter said, Glenn's not wasting time, he's a believer in electronic ignition units like the Pertronix. It's an alternative to using the points/condenser setup.  

You put the unit in, set the timing once, and don't have to adjust it again. Only drawback is if they die, they die completely (no limping the car back home). I've only had one Pertronix die on me, and it was my fault cause I left the key on to long and fried it.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Brooks424 Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Oh. Well sorry. I missed that. I have no clue what that involves either ha! I know I couldn't manage that. How much are those $?
Brooks424
Brooks424
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2011-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 am

Yeah, I would get an understanding of the points and how all of that works before moving to electronic. Reason being is if that pertronix goes bad, your backup is points and condenser.
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Need help again... Points and condenser.  - Page 2 Empty Bug Me Vedio

Post by jim conner Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Brooks424 wrote:Reset the timing? Oh hell, no one said anything about that. Now I know I'm screwed. Ha!

Fayetteville - not sure on that.
You might consider buying this set of DVDs which is I believe a set of ten vedios. I bought #9 which covers wiring. You can some times find them on Fle-bay or I got his card when in Sieverville,Tnn. His phone # is 1 800 6620071. They cover about anything you would want to do to your Bug. Hope this helps. Regards, Jim   ..slimjim Very Happy
jim conner
jim conner
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon65 Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:36 pm

jim conner wrote:
Brooks424 wrote:Reset the timing? Oh hell, no one said anything about that. Now I know I'm screwed. Ha!

Fayetteville - not sure on that.
You might consider buying this set of DVDs which is I believe a set of ten vedios. I bought #9 which covers wiring. You can some times find them on Fle-bay or I got his card when in Sieverville,Tnn. His phone # is 1 800 6620071. They cover about anything you would want to do to your Bug. Hope this helps. Regards, Jim   ..slimjim Very Happy

Yeah, if you're referring to the Bug Me video sets, the one that would be most useful in this situation is the general maintenance one, (#1). This shows how to replace and adjust the points, replace the condensor, and set the timing.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ggaagg57 Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:48 pm

points are simple , this is not that hard . coils and points, they work or they don't , just take it to a shop and have it fixed or buy a cheap new oo9 from clyed and  be done with it.
ggaagg57
ggaagg57
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:43 am

Yea. I've been using a Pertronix since the first day I started driving VWs. I've completely rebuilt 2 different cars and never adjusted points ever. People talk about having spare points and condenser. Guess what I have? A spare electronic dizzy. So if my Pertronix ever does fail (one in 15 years of true daily driving) I have a spare. You either love 'em or hate 'em. Yes they cost more than mechanical points but they are easy to install, they don't foul, they don't need adjusting, and they'll out last several sets of points if you don't try and static time them or leave your ignition on without the engine running.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:21 am

I may have some time this weekend to come out and take a look at it. Give me a call and we'll go from there. I believe you have my number.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:51 am

Likewise x2
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:25 am

im like glenn iv been runing pertronix since 95 an still going no hiccups or farts they are awsome garry has some i have installed by empi that also work great just set your timing an ride
DOODLE BUGG
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:03 pm

Did you get this sorted out?
vw57drvr
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2