Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bugs4Christ is doing a 7 Day, Body Off, Restoration on a 72 Super to donate to the Methodist Childrens Home in Macon

+4
bakertim2
bayboy87
jamesmichael73
dlandvw3
8 posters

Go down

Bugs4Christ is doing a 7 Day, Body Off, Restoration on a 72 Super to donate to the Methodist Childrens Home in Macon Empty Bugs4Christ is doing a 7 Day, Body Off, Restoration on a 72 Super to donate to the Methodist Childrens Home in Macon

Post by dlandvw3 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am

We've talked to a few of you guys about this, and we've mentioned it in the past, but we finally got a car to attempt this with. We're doing a Resto on a 72 Super Beetle that was donated to us. We'll have a parts list this weekend of everything we need for it. We could really use man power and help if anyone is interested and has some time to spare for us. It doesn't matter if its hours, days, several days, etc. We'll have a 5th wheel setup with power to use for anyone that wants to work a while, sleep and get up and keep working.

We finalized the dates, made up a parts list, we have a car, we're working on getting an Engine that we should have in the next week or so, and we will definitely be starting the 7 day, full body off restoration of a 72 Super Beetle on Thursday, February 28th, and are aiming for Thursday March 7th for the completion date. We're very excited and anxious to get this thing started and can't wait to see what help, what fun, what quirks, etc God has in store for us. This is one of those projects that we know we need His help with, and we know we will get His help. When the car is finished it will be given to the Methodist Home for Children and Youth in Macon, Ga. I think the plan is to make it part of their Silent Auction for their Celebration Day in April.

We will be posting a list of parts needed within the next couple of days, but other than parts we would love to have volunteers that can help any time, day or night, and for as little or as much as possible. Do you have 3-4 hours to spare on one of those seven days? We can use you! Do you have days to spare, nights to spare? We can use you! Are you horrible at working on cars, but great at cooking or grilling stuff for us to eat as we work? We can definitely use you!!!! Will you bless us with drinks, water, snacks, etc? We would be very appreciative.

All work will be done at our shop in Gray, 304 North Cross Rd, Gray Ga. For additional information, please contact John Albrycht or myself (Darrell Land). Our contact numbers are: (478) 297-7180 (John) or (478)960-7090 (Darrell) We would love any and all possible positive feedback, prayers, praises, anything to lift us up as we attempt this! Please share this status with as many of your friends as possible, as we'd love to know people all over the country are praying for us and supporting us in this endeavor!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Back to top Go down

Bugs4Christ is doing a 7 Day, Body Off, Restoration on a 72 Super to donate to the Methodist Childrens Home in Macon Empty Re: Bugs4Christ is doing a 7 Day, Body Off, Restoration on a 72 Super to donate to the Methodist Childrens Home in Macon

Post by dlandvw3 Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:59 pm

We have made a parts list of all the things we need for this build. If anyone here has these parts laying around and you'd like to donate them or bring them to the shop and help work on the bug for a while when the build starts, we would be ecstatic to have any of y'all. Beside the parts list are prices that we were given from Gary Claxton/Bugeyed. He quoted us really good prices and has the list with him to check them off as they've been ordered so we know where we stand. Again, any help is more than appreciated. You don't have to get them from Gary, but those prices are pretty good.

1972 Super Beetle - 7 Day Overhaul - Parts List

Bumpers -2 $150
Running Boards - 2 $55
Window Seals - 4 $28
Windshield $40
Wiper Blades $12
Headliner Kit $49
Carpet Kit $55
Floor Pans 2 $175
Seat Upholstery Kit $90
Door Panels - 4 $55
Shocks 2 rear $40
Strut Inserts 2 $60
Dash $75
Brake Shoes $30
Brake Line Kit $17
Master Cylinder $18
Brake Hardware Kit $12
Dome Light $5
Glove Box $9
Pedal Covers - 3 $7
Outside Window Scrapers$40
Clutch Cable $5
Throttle Cable $4
E Brake Boot $5
Door Seals -2 $14
Deck Lid Seal $3
Hood Seal $8
Fender Welting - 4 $9
Tag Light Seal $3
Engine Seal -2 $14
Engine Insulation Kit $20
Antenna $10
Headlight Rings -2 $10
Tail Light Lens $14
Side Reflectors $10
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Bugs4Christ is doing a 7 Day, Body Off, Restoration on a 72 Super to donate to the Methodist Childrens Home in Macon Empty Re: Bugs4Christ is doing a 7 Day, Body Off, Restoration on a 72 Super to donate to the Methodist Childrens Home in Macon

Post by jamesmichael73 Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:33 pm

I have brake lines. Let me see if I can talk the boss into a weekend off .. we are UMC members and I can't think of a better way to serve.
jamesmichael73
jamesmichael73
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bayboy87 Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:46 pm

that sounds great !!! hope to see you there!
bayboy87
bayboy87
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2012-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:25 am

Just wanted to post a few updates for anyone interested. We were given a chance to buy a new built engine for $1000 dollars and were looking at that possibility instead of rebuilding an old one we had, well a friend of a friend walked up to John Sunday and said He heard we could get a new engine for a thousand dollars and said, "I'll take care of that for you, y'all have a new engine" and he gave us the thousand bucks for that right there.

We also have someone giving us 4 new tires, now to work on good stock rims or 8 spokes or some nice looking rims.

We were gonna paint the car ourselves but a co-worker of one of our guys who has a TON more Base coat/clear coat experience than all of us combined volunteered his time to paint the car for us so that we can concentrate on other stuff in the build. That's actually a huge thing for us!! We'll gladly turn it over to someone that can do an outstanding job on it!

We also have a guy from Atlanta working on getting a film crew, lighting, cameras etc and will come down and time lapse video and film the whole 7 day build.

It's all starting to come together quickly for us, and it's a Great thing!!!!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 pm

We're going over parts lists now and getting a lot of things we need, however 3 big pieces of the puzzle that we need to find are:
The car is a 72 Super Beetle and we are missing these three things:

Hood (unique to I think 71-72 if I remember right)
RF Fender
Transmission (We don't have a good one)

If anyone can help us find these three things please tell us on here or message us or even call John or myself, ! Thanks in advance.

Darrell
478-960-7090
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm

I have a transmission you can have. I don't know the condition of it. I'll try to have it checked out.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:44 pm

I just talked to Gene Beddington and he told me he would check it out and put a correct nose cone on it. I'll try to get some axles and boots for it as well.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by bayboy87 Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:58 pm

thanks tim thats gonna be a great help. i have one but the reverse is gone in it and for this build its got to go through all the gears . we appreciate all you have done!
bayboy87
bayboy87
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks Tim! and thanks Gene! Also thanks to Jeff (Type4Revolution) for coming through with not one, but two hoods we can use!!! Just looking for a RF Fender now! Jeff also has Tranny's if we need it as a back up plan! You guys rock!!!!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by sploval53 Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:00 pm

I got a set of axles also if u need um.
sploval53
sploval53
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Awesome, thanks man! I'll try to find out from Tim if he got axles and if not we'll take them!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Bugs4Christ is doing a 7 Day, Body Off, Restoration on a 72 Super to donate to the Methodist Childrens Home in Macon Empty tranny

Post by theredbaron9 Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:35 pm

HEY Darrell I have a irs tranny yall can have with the axles and I will donate 4 new cv boots.....Gary

theredbaron9
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-09-12

http://www.bugeyed.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks, Gary, I think John is coming Monday to finish getting stuff we need! As always, you're awesome!!

Hey guys, just a few extra things we're looking for, just let us know what you're willing to do on price if you can help us out, and we need a volunteer that's good with Headliners? Anyone really good at putting them in, cause we aren't! We'd love help around day 4 or so to put in the headliner!

We are looking for 4 rims, stock, steelies, aftermarket, etc....anything that would look good on the car

We are looking for a roof rack, any kind that would look good, we can fix it up, paint it, etc....so condition isn't hugely important, let us know what ya got!!!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by macollins105 Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:04 pm

dlandvw3 wrote: We are looking for 4 rims, stock, steelies, aftermarket, etc....anything that would look good on the car

I can donate four stock rims that came off my 73 beetle. I know they have some rust and would have to be blasted and painted. Here is a picture of them when I first got the car. I no longer have the hubs for them. Maybe you guys could use them on this project or a future project. I live in Kathleen so you can swing by and pick them up if you are still located in Warner Robins.

Mike

Bugs4Christ is doing a 7 Day, Body Off, Restoration on a 72 Super to donate to the Methodist Childrens Home in Macon Photo4
macollins105
macollins105
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Mike, that'll be great, I'm in Warner Robins too, give me a call 478-960-7090

Darrell
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by redneck_davis Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:39 am

Darrell. . Tried to talk my bro into it but hell be on the way back from drill. Im goin to try to put some hours in that fri afternoon. Dont have any spair parts to bring or tools but ill be an extra hand if you need it.
redneck_davis
redneck_davis
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2012-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:29 am

We'd love for you to come...we have tons of tools, and extra hands is perfect, Friday afternoon would be a perfect time for that too because the teenagers from the Methodist home will be there so anyone that knows a little about the car that can explain things as you work would be great. We'll have the car broken down into sections that day so you can jump on the chassis, brakes, suspension, bodywork, even interior, whatever you can do to help we'd like!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:19 pm

I just have to say a huge thank you to Jeff/Type4Revolution/Autohaus Towing...I drove down there today to get a hood for this project and left with 10-11 things on our list to cross off!!!! Thanks Jeff, great to meet you and your Wife, and we won't forget the support!
dlandvw3
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by bayboy87 Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:18 am

havent seen the parts yet! heard they were a great score. id like to think every1 that has helped and that is gonna help. no matter how small or big ! it couldnt be done w/ the support . thanks alot didnt know where that year specific hood was gonna come from. im like a kid in a candy store ready to dig in. ive never have had the chance and prob. wont ever get to have all parts to build a car alll at once. maybe a good thing though. looking forward to it.darrell has had to tellme i know 12 times top stop tinkering on it!
bayboy87
bayboy87
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by redneck_davis Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:07 am

Good ole jeff will hook you up out there. Makin me a trip in a week or so.
redneck_davis
redneck_davis
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2012-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down