Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clutch disc for a bus - rigid vs spring type

5 posters

Go down

Clutch disc for a bus - rigid vs spring type Empty Clutch disc for a bus - rigid vs spring type

Post by fluxcap Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 am

Need some opinions here. You bus guys let me know what you think about the rigid clutches versus the sprung clutch discs. I don't know much about the differences and tried doing some research on the samba, but just got a headache trying to sort through the arguments. I'm installing a new cross shaft soon and want to go on and put a new clutch in while I have the engine out. Anybody got a good rundown on the pros and cons of each type of disc?

I have a 67-68 bug transmission pushing a 66 camper bus. It's got a full camper interior, and I keep a good bit of tools in it, so it's probably a little on the heavy side. Engine is a 1600sp, 12v flywheel. What clutch would you recommend? Thanks in advance!!!

fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Clutch disc for a bus - rigid vs spring type Empty Re: Clutch disc for a bus - rigid vs spring type

Post by rpm750 Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:13 am

I think the spring type is more for the everyday use where the rigid is more for racing/off road. I believe the new cross shaft will cure most of your clutch chatter issue. I'm just going by what makes since as far as how the two disks are designed. If you are going to be rough on a clutch system then less moving parts will make more since.
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Clutch disc for a bus - rigid vs spring type Empty Re: Clutch disc for a bus - rigid vs spring type

Post by bumblebuggy Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 am

I've never used the spring style clutch in any car. Never had an issue with the collared type diaphragm style clutch in my bus when I was running the RGBs. As a matter of fact, I think it's the same clutch I put in it when I first put the Jolly Rancher on the road. The new trany I'm putting in from Rancho has a late model 72-79 style cross shaft. I have no idea why I agreed to that option when the guy asked but figured "what the hell?" I'll tell you now that I already regret that option. Asside from having to buy an entire clutch kit (not a big deal to me), the arm of the cross shaft is ever so slightly longer and the wing nut on the cable is tapping the cargo floor as you tighten it. On the plus side, if the arm actually is longer, it should make shifting easier on the leg as there will be a litte more leverage gained out of the longer arm. We shall see.

By Bob's logic (excelent logic) the rigid/diaphragm style clutch would be the way to go in a heavy bus if it is, in fact, stronger.

Just an FYI...I now have a spare kit (slightly used) you can have to try it out if you like...complete T/O bearing, clutch and disc.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Alright, you lost me a little there Glenn. When you say "spring style clutch" and "collared type diaphragm style clutch", are you referring to the actual clutch disc or the pressure plate? I definitely have the older style collared pressure plate on there now, but can't remember if the clutch disc I currently have is rigid or the style with the springs, but I think it is a rigid style.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm talking about the pressure plate. After a quick re-read, looks like I took off with your question in a completely wrong direction. Embarassed I'll go to my time out corner now.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Haha, no problem dude. Your brain is just tired from getting that new transaxle in and ready to go!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by m1auto Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:16 am

i know this is severly off topic but i noticed edbassmaster in you picture lol

m1auto
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 am

m1auto wrote:i know this is severly off topic but i noticed edbassmaster in you picture lol
Oh would you look at that......just look at it.

Alright guys, anybody else got an opinion on this? I'm pretty sure i have a rigid disc in there now and it was in good shape last time I checked it, so I think I'll test out Bob's theory and get a spring type disc and compare the two.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Clutch disc for a bus - rigid vs spring type Empty rigid

Post by type4revolution Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:10 am

Rigid all the way / spring style is for the beginner drivers /also when springs get worn and go bad and they will before the friction liner does your left on the side of the road scatchn your head. Likewise if you already have it apart put a good disk in there its well worth the time now not on your way up the mountain. I have the part numbers of stuff you need to make it all work for ya on a daily driver.I run this stuff daliy with no issues

Last edited by type4revolution on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 am

hey Jeff, got any disc you would recommend? I was looking at cbperformance's website and seen that they range in price pretty wildly. Not really looking to spend $100 for just the disc, but do want to get a good one.

Would this one be decent?
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1359
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:19 am

Yes I do stand by
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by type4revolution Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 am

Pm sent if I can help let me know
type4revolution
type4revolution
Complete Dub Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down