Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from someone who's never driven an aircooled VW...

+5
Jon65
MRJEL
bakertim2
Grifspop
Brian M
9 posters

Go down

Hello from someone who's never driven an aircooled VW... Empty Hello from someone who's never driven an aircooled VW...

Post by Brian M Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 pm

I think I've been in one, once.... maybe.

I'm Brian... and my wife is (once again) talking about getting a "cute" car. Cool It started with the idea of a bug back in about 2005-ish... morphed into a classic Mini for awhile and we're now back full circle to thinking about a beetle. It even made it far enough the first time that I bought "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive Book by John Muir"... it's kicking around here somewhere. I think she MIGHT just be serious this time... not sure, how can you be with wives? Suspect

SSsoooooo.... I want to learn a little something. I'm hoping there might be someone somewhat local to me (Manchester/Warm Springs ~ corner of Meriwether/Talbot/Harris counties) that wouldn't mind BSing a bit. Heck, just talk to me like you're trying to sell your car and I'll ask questions. Smile

Me... I'm a trophy husband. Twisted Evil Err... I think that means I'm just an out-of-work guy who's supported by his wife without complaint. Before that, even before I met this wonderful woman, I made the mistake of attending a motorcycle mechanics trade school.. spend a but-load of money for paper certificates that aren't even good enough to wipe my behind with. But somehow I've managed to make a few cents by buying, fixing, and selling motorcycles. Oh, before that (and a little after) I did IT work... guess being the head of IT is legitimate... er, was back when I had a job. Anyway, point is that I know the business end of a wrench. I even like using that business end... it's my "Zen" time. I have had a couple wasserpumpe ~ the first an '86 Porsche 951 (944 Turbo) and currently an '01 Jetta TDI. So it's not like I'm a complete infidel.

If you're near, wanna chat (or have a beer.. I happen to brew my own Cool ), please get in touch. Might even be willing to make the time to get up to Newnan/PTC or down to Columbus...

Cheers

Brian

Brian M
Brian M
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Back to top Go down

Hello from someone who's never driven an aircooled VW... Empty Re: Hello from someone who's never driven an aircooled VW...

Post by Grifspop Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Brian, if you really want to get hooked on VW's, you should hit a couple of shows like Cruise the Coop or Silver Dollar Showdown- a lot of us Dubbers hit those to hang out and swap stories
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Hello from someone who's never driven an aircooled VW... Empty Re: Hello from someone who's never driven an aircooled VW...

Post by bakertim2 Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Welcome to the site Brian. Good luck on locating a project.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by MRJEL Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:24 pm

If you ever head to West Point Pond (used to be "Lake") stop in. We can talk VW's, and maybe even do some piddlin' on the Aspencade!

I've lost the name, but there is an older gent in Manchester with a good size hoard of VW's including at least one split oval. His daughter was a friend of a friend of mine who recently died. She was going to try and get us together, but hasn't yet.

MRJEL
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon65 Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Welcome to the site. Like mentioned above, come to some of the shows. You meet some great guys to talk VW with. Smile

Good luck with your search for a project.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Welcome to the forums! cheers
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryg66 Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 am

Welcome.
jerryg66
jerryg66
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian M Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:24 am

Shows.. sounds good, but I'm off to Germany the first 2 weeks of March, so that rules out the 2 mentioned. Is there a list somewhere? A central place of announcement? Maybe even a web calendar for easy reference? It'd be way easier to scan what's coming up, how far (hard to justify much over a 4 hour round trip... which is the north side of Atlanta, Macon, Auburn and probably Albany-ish) and make plans.

MRJEL, I do, actually head west with some frequency. My "geez, I need to clear my head" MC loop is 190 through FDR park down to Hamilton, 116 to 103 to that Georgia Power (I think.... um, listed as Blanton Creek Park online) camp site/boat dock, then south till I want to turn back. And I do all the grocery shopping in LaGrange every week.

Thanks for the welcome/well wishes. I hope to find a good first car as well. Something that's a driver (wife only has a 7 mile commute). Not really wanting to get into the $$$ aspect of fixing up something that's not road worthy. I'll leave that for my motorcycle projects.
Brian M
Brian M
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by drvr8 Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 am

Welcome Brian... sounds like we have some things in common... I am also a "trophy" husband... and former IT guy. If you do come up to PTC... let me know... if you want to know about shows, just check the events section.

Again... Welcome!
drvr8
drvr8
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2012-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 am

Brian M wrote: Is there a list somewhere? A central place of announcement? Maybe even a web calendar for easy reference?

Yep, the Samba has an events ticker on the right side of their web site- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/

the SEVWC used to have one that was Southeast specific, but it hasn't been updated in a while http://www.sevwc.com/planner99.htm
A lot of the shows on the SEVWC are held every year, so it gives you an idea of what's coming up

Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:07 am

Welcome aboard!

You'll find the VW crowd is one of the best around. Tons of great people here. Plus, if you ever pull the trigger on your VW, you'll find out how much people in general just love these cars. Getting gas will never be the same.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon65 Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Grifspop wrote:
Brian M wrote: Is there a list somewhere? A central place of announcement? Maybe even a web calendar for easy reference?

Yep, the Samba has an events ticker on the right side of their web site- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/

the SEVWC used to have one that was Southeast specific, but it hasn't been updated in a while http://www.sevwc.com/planner99.htm
A lot of the shows on the SEVWC are held every year, so it gives you an idea of what's coming up

There is also a community page on the Samba that lists almost all of the upcoming VW shows : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/shows/index.php?sort=location

Other than the Samba, there is the Events forum on this site that has topics about local shows and events.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 pm

welcome to the site

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian M Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks for the links. Looks like the only thing close and in the near future when I am in country was a listing for March 31, 2012 in LaGrange. I fired off an email asking if there's a repeat for 2013.

But really, I was hoping to buy something well before then. Might just be a roll of the dice it sounds like, which is a shame as I've been badly burned and turned by that type of entry in the past (BMW motorcycles, ugh, never again).

Any thoughts on this listing?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1374549
Brian M
Brian M
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down