Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frustrated trying to get my bug running

5 posters

Go down

Frustrated trying to get my bug running Empty Frustrated trying to get my bug running

Post by Jim Baker Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:38 pm

I have been having difficulty trying to get by 76 Beetle running. It hasn't run in almost 10 years. I recently put the engine in it after putting in new cylinders and pistons. It will crank but I don't hear the fuel pump kicking in. The car is fuel injected and most guys who know anything about old bugs, stay away from the fuel injected ones. I've tried to repair this one on my own and I'm at a loss. I've researched it on various web pages all over the net trying to make sense of it, including looking at wiring diagrams and it just seems to be beyond me. Many have recommended switching out the fuel injection, but that just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Does anyone know who I could go to that would know how to work on fuel injected bugs? I live in Fayetteville,GA

Thank you,
Jim Baker
Jim Baker
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Back to top Go down

Frustrated trying to get my bug running Empty Re: Frustrated trying to get my bug running

Post by bakertim2 Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:14 pm

If it is the fuel pump, I have one I pulled from a 79 that still works great.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Frustrated trying to get my bug running Empty Re: Frustrated trying to get my bug running

Post by Jim Baker Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Thank you for your response.

My son Erik really appreciated all you did for him a while ago. He is saving up the money to have you work on his car sometime in the future.

Unfortunately Tim, I don't think it is the fuel pump. I put a volt ohm meter on it and was not getting power to it. I traced it back to the "double relay" and power is not going there. From what I have read there is some sort of sensor in the Air Flow meter that controls it. That is where it gets beyond me. If it turns out I need a fuel pump as well, I may be giving you a call.

Thank you!
Jim Baker
Jim Baker
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:04 pm

I hope you can figure it out. I'm just as lost as you on that fi stuff.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Check the left headlight ground.... It grounds the fuel pump see if you get power then.... Not sure it will help but an easy check.... Dads car ran crappy with the lights on and that was the problem
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988
Registration date : 2008-07-20

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Attorney Isaiah Loophole wrote:Check the left headlight ground.... It grounds the fuel pump see if you get power then.... Not sure it will help but an easy check.... Dads car ran crappy with the lights on and that was the problem

I was about to say "Grounds, Grounds", did I mention grounds. Most of the time VW electrical problems stem from bad grounds!
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Baker Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Great Suggestion on the grounds. I'll try to check them out, I've gotten a schematic off of the Samba. There are a lot of connections on this one. If this doesnt work, does anyone know of a shop or someone who knows how to repair an F/I beetle?
Jim Baker
Jim Baker
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by MRJEL Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:08 am

Have you read through this little gem?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_11_1974/AFC_fuel_injection_types_1_and_2_from_november_1974.pdf

You may have a faulty intake air sensor. With ignition on, when you manually work the flap in the air box the pump should run. Found one on a bus once that was stuck. Once i put the finger to it, it started working!

MRJEL
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Baker Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:30 pm

I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS ONE!!! Thank you for the tip! This is better than the schematic I found on the Samba.
Jim Baker
Jim Baker
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down