Please help! About to go insane!!!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Please help! About to go insane!!!

Post by ASBug on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:03 am

Check to see if your getting power from the coil (+) to your idle circuit.
Could just be a bad wire...
You can also as a temp fix just cut the head off the plunger on the silinoid.
Also hook up your choke and dial it in.
My'63's choke isn't hooked up and I have to goose it to keep it running until it is warmed up.
KC
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2184
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:26 pm

It could be as simple as you have 2 spark plug wires reversed. Double check to make sure.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:13 pm

I think the plug wires are routed normal. The coil,idle valve,and choke are all getting hot with the ignition on. Coil is too hot to touch. Not sure if this is normal. Tomorrow I will swap parts to see if that helps but I want to be sure. The wires going to the idle valve and choke are coming from the left side post of the coil(looking at it facing engine bay)
Spook
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pwmcguire on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Spook wrote:I think the plug wires are routed normal. The coil,idle valve,and choke are all getting hot with the ignition on. Coil is too hot to touch. Not sure if this is normal. Tomorrow I will swap parts to see if that helps but I want to be sure. The wires going to the idle valve and choke are coming from the left side post of the coil(looking at it facing engine bay)

That sounds right, but make sure you coil is not rotated there is a plus and minus by each terminal
pwmcguire
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2009-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by blupuick on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Spook wrote:I think the plug wires are routed normal. The coil,idle valve,and choke are all getting hot with the ignition on. Coil is too hot to touch. Not sure if this is normal. Tomorrow I will swap parts to see if that helps but I want to be sure. The wires going to the idle valve and choke are coming from the left side post of the coil(looking at it facing engine bay)

I used car coils on my last bike and that is how I knew one was bad, one was so hot couldn't touch it and the other was just warm.
blupuick
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2012-04-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Getting overwhelmed. So far I cant get it to run. I have a bunch of spare parts and tried switching the idle control valve and even found one with the plunger end cut off and tried all of them. Nothing changed. Still no clicks. I decided to check for power at the idle valve,choke,and the coil itself all are getting power. I took the points out. They looked burned so I cleaned them up with some 180 grit sand paper and put them back in. I don't really know how to gap them but anyway now it doesn't even crank up anymore. I'm using a chiltons manual and the idiot guide and not really finding either that useful. In the new parts pile I have a new coil and new SVDA dizzy ready to go on. At this point I am worried I may fry either or both if I tried to put them in.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Man on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:13 am

Do "you" know for sure that this engine was running with no problems before you put it in this car?

First you need to adjust the gap on the points. I can't find my Idiot book but as best as I can remember it has a tune up section that covers this.

Second make sure that the plug wires are correctly attaches to each plug and in the correct order.

Have you moved the distributor around any and is it tight and not able to turn(it should be).

I know these are basic but it's how I have to get it done some times. Going back to the very basic stuff and do it one step at a time.
Cave Man
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:31 am

Cave Man wrote:Do "you" know for sure that this engine was running with no problems before you put it in this car?

First you need to adjust the gap on the points. I can't find my Idiot book but as best as I can remember it has a tune up section that covers this.

Second make sure that the plug wires are correctly attaches to each plug and in the correct order.

Have you moved the distributor around any and is it tight and not able to turn(it should be).

I know these are basic but it's how I have to get it done some times. Going back to the very basic stuff and do it one step at a time.

Yes I drove the car for a few months and it ran great.Then it developed a slight stumble on acceleration which got worse over time. The plug wires are routed the same as the other 3 engines on my 65bus,65bug,65bug, I assume they are all the same. Dizzy is tight . I scribed a mark in the base of it and the case in case it moved I could turn it back but haven't needed to do so. One time before I crossed a plug wire and it ran the same until I routed it right. I am wondering if I may have a damaged plug wire. When I was putting the engine in it was over to the left a little and the wires got mashed between the engine tin and firewall. Doesn't appear to be damaged but possibly on the inside? As far as points go I am studying that now. Going to try and get more work done today.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Man on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:57 am

Also an intake leak will act like you are talking about. If the carb or intake is loose. If it is a duel port it might have a cracked boot.
Cave Man
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:28 am

have you tested the coil by un hooking it from the distributor and having someone crank it while you hold it towards the shroud? Use some rubber handled pliers to hold it. Just see if its sparking and if so what color. You want a nice strong blue/white spark

Also could be something as simple as a bad condensor- Sounds like it would be a good idea to throw a new one in along with a new set of points.
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Well after everything it still wont run so I went back and pulled the coil to change it and discovered it was wired backwards. Everything was marked by me with corresponding numbers before I pulled the engine and wires and hooked back up accordingly during install so I have no idea how it got backwards.
Anyway I put the new blue coil on and hooked it up properly (dizzy to -1 terminal. Ignition,idlevalve,thermostat to + 15 terminal. Pulled the points and condenser because I figured they are fried and put a new petronix module in. I tried timing the dizzy after that and it and the test light barely flickers when I tried to set it to 7.5 after TDC Not lighting the light up at all. Then I crank it and it runs like crap. Only running if I stay on the gas but stalling and popping. I also installed a new alternator before I hooked that coil up wrong so I am not sure if it could have been damaged.I don't know if anything else fried from the backwards wires but at this point I am done. Checked fuses....good.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Man on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:58 am

Not so sure you can time pertronix with a test light like points. If you have it running you re making progress.

Did you check for loos or leaking intake boots or end castings? And you said the plug wires got mashed, so if you can feel a bump in them I would swap them for a known good ones.
Cave Man
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 am

Cave Man wrote:Not so sure you can time pertronix with a test light like points. If you have it running you re making progress.

Did you check for loos or leaking intake boots or end castings? And you said the plug wires got mashed, so if you can feel a bump in them I would swap them for a known good ones.

Saturday I will check all the intake stuff and put a new seal around the base of my carb (to intake) I have another set of spark plug wires I can swap too. I need to also try what zabo said but I am not sure I understand. I think he is saying pull the wire from the dizzy and hold the end of the wire close to the fan shround and have someone crank the engine and look for a spark to jump from the wire to the shroud? Is that right??? From there I will start testing everything with a multi-meter. I have one but the battery was dead last night.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 am

At least it is alive now, barely, but alive...
KC
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2184
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:01 pm

I guess by the time I get it running right this will be the longest thread in GeorgiaDubs history Neutral

One thing I was thinking about last night...since I bought the car the ignition switch has been hanging by the wires and not installed in the column. The PO told me it was the second switch they had put in and it had been giving them trouble. Also various other electrical oddities have been occuring. (New clicky starter,alternator voltage regulator issues,fuel sender malfunction,lights going dim to bright,turn signals acting crazy) and the fact that I marked all the wires with sharpie and tape before I pulled the coil. Could it be that the ignition switch is wired wrong? Could that be why it was running before with the coil wired backards? This is absolutely crazy. I feel like I could have finished restoring my 65 bug and the bus by now. This car was supposed to be a daily to cure my jonesing for driving aircooled until I was finished with the other projects. Another bad mistake in a long line of others.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MRJEL on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Spook wrote:I guess by the time I get it running right this will be the longest thread in GeorgiaDubs history Neutral

One thing I was thinking about last night...since I bought the car the ignition switch has been hanging by the wires and not installed in the column. The PO told me it was the second switch they had put in and it had been giving them trouble. Also various other electrical oddities have been occuring. (New clicky starter,alternator voltage regulator issues,fuel sender malfunction,lights going dim to bright,turn signals acting crazy) and the fact that I marked all the wires with sharpie and tape before I pulled the coil. Could it be that the ignition switch is wired wrong? Could that be why it was running before with the coil wired backards? This is absolutely crazy. I feel like I could have finished restoring my 65 bug and the bus by now. This car was supposed to be a daily to cure my jonesing for driving aircooled until I was finished with the other projects. Another bad mistake in a long line of others.

These things can be "quirky" to say the least. Speaking of things, let me tell you what my Thing did last night on the way home.

Running fine (as usual) I turned on the headlights. Panel lights were dim, so I twist the knob to brighten, and all of a sudden the generator light shines, and the engine quits! Twist a bit more and all is fine! May not be your trouble, but that #30 on the headlight switch does a lot of stuff!

Had a spare switch at home. Problem solved!

MRJEL
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MRJEL on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:02 pm

To add to my last one, CHECK THE GROUNDS. Then after that CHECK THE GROUNDS!!

Poor ground is about the only thing that will make the lights dim as you described. Be sure the ground strap at the transmission is intact. Also, clean the fuse block terminals and fuses.

I would suggest you go back to points and condensor (new of course). Then to eliminate electrical issues, run a jumper from the battery + to the coil, disconnect the alternator wires, and crank it up. If the problems persist, it is not in the vehicle wiring.

Still sounds like a vacuum leak. Spray carb cleaner around the carb base, intake to head gaskets, intake boots (if dual port). You'll know if you hit a leak!

If all else fails, hook up the tow bar and come for a visit tommorow. I'll be playing with the Thing all day!

MRJEL
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DOODLE BUGG on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:04 am

i feal like it is a vacume leak also spray some carb or brake cleaner on your intake an carb with it running see if u hear a differance
DOODLE BUGG
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1643
Registration date : 2008-12-01

View user profile http://bugglife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:30 am

Cave Man wrote:Not so sure you can time pertronix with a test light like points. If you have it running you re making progress.
You can't. If you static time a pertronix, YOU WILL fry it. The good thing abour electric points is they work or they don't. If the car is running, the electric ignition is working. That's not to say the dizzy is tired or worn or jumping around though.

Check the carb to make sure the vacccum hole (for vac dizzy) is plugged too.

bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:43 am

Drag this car to Sonic today so we can fix it!!!
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

View user profile http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Muhaha! She is alive!

Now to re-tune!
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave Man on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Spook wrote:Muhaha! She is alive!

Now to re-tune!

OK so what was the issue? And congradulations.
Cave Man
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Cave Man wrote:
Spook wrote:Muhaha! She is alive!

Now to re-tune!

OK so what was the issue? And congradulations.

Could have been easily avoided if I had posted a picture of my engine early on. I guess this thing on my intake is a EGR? valve of some sort. I forgot to put it back on so there was a 1/2 hole in my intake. Somehow I looked over it and thought it was a alignment hole of some sort. After running it for a minute I saw vapor coming from the hole.I made a block off plate for it and put it on. Now it runs and idles just needs the carb and maybe timing set.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pwmcguire on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:27 pm

MRJEL wrote:Still sounds like a vacuum leak. Spray carb cleaner around the carb base, intake to head gaskets, intake boots (if dual port). You'll know if you hit a leak!

Ding, ding, ding,

We have a winner

But seriously I'm glad you got it running
pwmcguire
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2009-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:37 pm

pwmcguire wrote:
DOODLE BUGG wrote:i feal like it is a vacume leak also spray some carb or brake cleaner on your intake an carb with it running see if u hear a differance

Ding, ding, ding,

We have a winner

But seriously I'm glad you got it running
lol. The problem with that trick was it would cut off so fast (unless I had my foot on the gas) I couldn't run from the drivers seat to the engine bay fast enough to keep the throttle going. Its running okay now but is sounding bad. Skipping and the valves rattling loud. I am wondering what the nipple thing on the top right hand side of the fanshroud is. Looks like a breather hose hooks to it. Does it need to be blocked off? And also,before I take this thing on a long ride,I need to know how to hook up a temp gauge or atleast know how to tell if its overheating.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top