Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quiz question, steering column part

2 posters

Go down

Quiz question, steering column part Empty Quiz question, steering column part

Post by 57RTOval Mon May 28, 2012 2:09 pm

On my Type 181, I was hearing a metal-on-metal grinding during a portion of the steering wheel rotation. Turns out it was this collar on the top of the collapsible section of the steering shaft grinding on the bottom of the fuel tank. It rattles loosely and is held on by a couple bent over tabs. Anyone know what this gizmo is? Must have been needed if VW went through the trouble of making it and installing it. Thanks. BTW, it's coming off until I figure out what it's needed for.

Quiz question, steering column part Img_5119
57RTOval
57RTOval
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Quiz question, steering column part Empty Re: Quiz question, steering column part

Post by peregrine67 Mon May 28, 2012 3:23 pm

It appears to press against the outer portion of the steering column in the event of an accident the assist in compressing the collapsible section. without it the collapsible section would just go straight into the outer steering column and not compress.
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Quiz question, steering column part Empty Re: Quiz question, steering column part

Post by 57RTOval Mon May 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks Michael. That's the same conclusion I came to after looking at it a while. I found the steering shaft wasn't straight, causing that clip to hit the bottom of the tank once per rev. I straightened the shaft and did put that clip back on. Hopefully that will take care of it.
57RTOval
57RTOval
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down