Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with brakes!!!!!! Bug down because of brake issues........

4 posters

Go down

Help with brakes!!!!!! Bug down because of brake issues........ Empty Help with brakes!!!!!! Bug down because of brake issues........

Post by Red hot pony Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 am

Need help figuring out why I don't have any brakes on my 74 standard. scratch Driving me crazy with all this great bug weather and I can't drive it. Mad I've changed all the wheel cylinder,s, brake pads, brake lines on the front, and the master cylinder. Still know brakes. I've bled them a thousand times just to make sure there's no air. Still know brakes. scratch
Red hot pony
Red hot pony
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Help with brakes!!!!!! Bug down because of brake issues........ Empty Re: Help with brakes!!!!!! Bug down because of brake issues........

Post by fluxcap Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Hey Terrence!
Since you installed new wheel cylinders and shoes (I'm assuming you have drums up front if it's a standard), the shoes will need to seat into their slots. When you are bleeding these, are you adjusting the shoes all the way out up against the drum?

I had a similar issue when I put the brakes on my 62, and it all turned out to be an adjustment problem. You need to adjust the brakes all the way out to the drum. Then pump, bleed, pump, bleed, etc...

While they are new, the pumping will seat the shoes into their slots, so after you pump them a few time, go back and make sure they are still tight against the drum. If not, adjust them out some more.

Hopefully that will get you a firm pedal. And then you can adjust the shoes back inward until you get just a slight drag.

Can't guarantee it, but that was my problem! Took a lot of head scratching to figure it out.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Help with brakes!!!!!! Bug down because of brake issues........ Empty Re: Help with brakes!!!!!! Bug down because of brake issues........

Post by DiggerD Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Also, if you took the adjusters apart, make sure that the slotted screws that the brake shoes rest in are positioned correctly. The wider part of the slot goes at the top if I remember right......
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Red hot pony Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Yes I adjusted the brakes all the way to the drum. But I backed off on them and then bleed the brakes. So this might be my problem. Cant wait to get off work and try it. bounce Thanks a million Laughing
Red hot pony
Red hot pony
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by 57RTOval Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Check the carpeting along the tunnel on the drivers side and make sure the front-to-rear hardline isn't leaking. I ended up having to replace it to get my brakes working again on my 66.
57RTOval
57RTOval
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Red hot pony Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:43 pm

bounce Razz Very Happy cheers Thanks for the tips guys. I have brakes now. Dubbing the rest of the week.............
Red hot pony
Red hot pony
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down