Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend!

+7
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
shaky
zabo
callahan
type901
bumblebuggy
fluxcap
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! Empty Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend!

Post by fluxcap Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:10 am

Kelly and her mom are going to visit family this weekend, so I'll be a bachelor this Saturday and Sunday (24th and 25th). I'm planning on putting the bug transmission i got from Jeff into the bus these days. Also have all new shift rod bushings and coupler which I plan to replace while the transmission is out. I should have my 68 long/long axles by then too, so before I install the 67 tranny, I'd like to pull the long/short axles out of it and put the 68 axles in.

Never done any of this stuff before, so if anybody is free and wants to stop by and help out with either knowledge or muscle, I'd love to have you over! I'm HOPING to already have the engine and old transmission out this week so I can get straight down to business this weekend.

If anybody wants to stop by, let me know, and I'll have some food and beverages available. I don't drink beer, so I don't keep any on hand, but let me know what you like, and I'll get it!

fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! Empty Re: Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend!

Post by fluxcap Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:11 am

oh, and if this goes smoothly by some miracle and my disc brake kit is in (by another miracle), we can install those as well!!!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! Empty Re: Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend!

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:12 am

You'll likely want to order some fulcrum plates if you haven't already. Also, if you haven't got a large set of industrial snap ring plyers, be ready to do a little modification (grinding) to a medium to large pair of needle nose plyers. The snap rings are a bitch to get out of the transaxles. I'd love to help ya bud but I'll be working.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by type901 Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:20 am

I would be all over helping but I have ben out of town the last couple of weeks so this weekend is locked down at home.

type901
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:22 am

I'm definitely going to try and find some large snap ring pliers before this weekend. If not, I definitely have a few pairs of larger junk needle nose pliers I can modify. Hadn't thought about new fulcrum plates, and likely won't be able to get any ordered and delivered by this weekend, so I'll probably just have to cross my fingers the current ones are in decent shape and re-useable. The condition of the trans is "unknown", so I'm actually crossing my fingers the whole thing is in decent shape Laughing . If not, I'll have learning experience and a core to get rebuilt!

I'm hoping to have the long/short axles out of the trans before this weekend, so I should get a good look at the fulcrum plates ahead of time and decide if I need to hold off and order some new one.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:31 am

Do you have a quality set of gaskets for the side plates? You HAVE to have those. If not, stop everything you're doing and order some as well as the fulcrum plates. Also get the trans mounts (front and rear) of good quality and NOT eurethane. No sense in doing all this work if something stupid is going to keep you from finishing.

Last edited by bumblebuggy on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by callahan Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:33 am

i might be able to make it down.
callahan
callahan
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1271
Registration date : 2010-02-06

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1030359664

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:33 am

if you get snap rings pliers get quality ones.

I've had a lot better luck grinding down needle noses for this job. If they are a little stiff and hard to close all the better.

As long as the trans is not from a slammed car the fulcrums should be fine-
Out of the 4 trans Ive messed with -i only had 1 plate i needed to swap out.

zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:48 am

bumblebuggy wrote:Do you have a quality set of gaskets for the side plates? You HAVE to have those. If not, stop everything you're doing and order some as well as the fulcrum plates. Also get the trans mounts (front and rear) of good quality and NOT eurethane. No sense in doing all this work if something stupid is going to keep you from finishing.

Yes, I do indeed have a whole trans gasket kit I got from WW a while back! Also have all new front and rear rubber mounts ready for install that I got from Clyde last weekend. So hopefully I'll have everything needed. Cool

callahan wrote:i might be able to make it down.
Come on down, we can tackle mine, and then we can take half the time getting yours swapped out.

zabo wrote:if you get snap rings pliers get quality ones.
I've had a lot better luck grinding down needle noses for this job. If they are a little stiff and hard to close all the better.

Thanks for the tips!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 am

zabo wrote:if you get snap rings pliers get quality ones.

Yea, I bent 2 sets of snap ring plyers trying to get those buggers out. Finally came out with the needle nose.

Funny, the two bus transmissions I've messed with both needed them.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by shaky Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm down for sat.
shaky
shaky
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:20 pm

shaky wrote:I'm down for sat.

Cool deal! Let me know what you like to drink!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 pm

I am up for it this weekend!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Awesome, the more the merrier! Thanks guys. Looking forward to it.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 pm

I would be up for it, but if everything goes right, I will be putting my tranny back in this weekend as well!
DiggerD
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Good luck with it man, I know you've been ready to get it back up and running!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Might be able to make it
PeeWeeMan91
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 am

Count me in Eric, your house?
rpm750
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:02 am

rpm750 wrote:Count me in Eric, your house?

Yeah, gonna try it at my house. gonna swing by my parents this evening and get the medium sized air compressor and a few other tools.

I should be back from the airport and getting started around 9:30. So if anybody wants to drop in anytime after that, feel free.

Last edited by fluxcap on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by loves trim Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Dont know what the old lady has planned for me, but im going to try to make it.

loves trim
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Awesome! Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed all my parts get here on time Question Waiting on my long/long axles and my offset springplates. Both of which should already be in the mail, so I think they'll all be here.

fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:47 am

Did a little more prepping. I hate losing an hour of sleep during the time change, but I love it staying light out later in the day!

Old transaxle is out.
Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! Photobucket-13779-1332405151271

Started working on the bug transaxle. It was heavy and hard to move on my own, so the trailer made a good work area Laughing . Got it cleaned up pretty good, and the axles removed.
Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! Photobucket-13353-1332376721866

Found some snap ring pliers in my dad's toolchest. They looked awfully thin and wimpy, but they worked great! First one took about ten tries, but I got the second one out in three tries. Fulcrum plates on both sides looked good. They have some marks, but nothing that can be felt when running my fingernail over them. No gouges, knicks, or scratches.
Transmission swapping fun with Eric this weekend! Photobucket-16292-1332376656920
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:19 am

i think if you work tonight you'll have it all back in before anyone shows up! Very Happy
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:25 am

Laughing I don't have the muscle power to get it installed all by myself, plus I'm about to the limits of my knowledge. I'd have to spend tonight researching the next steps (swapping nose cones and hockey stick). Plus I still got all the fun work of removing the shift rod and replacing all those bushings.

Need to spend a couple more hours doing some cleaning though and maybe a little painting before the work day!

Still keeping my fingers crossed the 68 axles will show up in time. Saturdays work can proceed without the offset springplates, since I can easily do those on my own. But if the axles don't show up, that could be a problem. scratch

they were mailed Saturday by parcel post, but they are only coming from Missouri, so it's just a few states away. I'm hopeful they will be waiting for me today when I get home!

fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:28 pm

fluxcap wrote:
they were mailed Saturday by parcel post, but they are only coming from Missouri, so it's just a few states away. I'm hopeful they will be waiting for me today when I get home!

Springplates and axles are here!!! cheers
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next