Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08.

+2
fluxcap
danoxford
6 posters

Go down

What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08. Empty What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08.

Post by danoxford Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:09 pm

So friday started out great. Julie and I had the pleasure of meeting some new friends(some of you reading this) and cruising down 75 to what was to be a great weekend of cars, friends and no job or home stress. In fact this is how we looked:
What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08. Julie6013
Kip and Brian's party was amazing as usual, but we decided to leave about 2am to go back to the hotel to get some rest before Bulli. Shortly after leaving the party we heard a VERY loud bang from my sometimes trusty '61 and we quickly came to rest in the driveway of a retirement community. The following pictures are of the carnage:
What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08. Julie6036
Dropped #4 exhaust valve.
What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08. Julie6037
Mangled head.
So my buddies Ray and Ray and I pulled the motor out and towed the bug back to the hotel hoping to find parts at Bulli. In fact, we had no luck. I called up Fisher Buggies in Tampa and at about 1pm on Sat. and luckily they had an 041 head cut for 90.5, a connecting rod, a piston and cylinder, 4 push rods and tubes, and various other crap. Awesome. We drove to Fisher's and picked up the loot and drove back to Bradenton to rebuild the motor. This is what we did Saturday night:
What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08. Julie6046
What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08. Julie6048
What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08. Julie6049
Sometime that night we got it all back together and luckily we didnt screw up and it held for the trip back home...unfortunately my tranny did not...hahahahahahaha...

Mucho thanks to Raymond, Ray, Julie, Keith, Daniel, the guy who went out of his way to help us at Fisher's, Holly, and Chad for the tow straps. Hopefully I can repay the favor.
danoxford
danoxford
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08. Empty Re: What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08.

Post by fluxcap Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Hey man, didn't get to meet you, but I did see your car at BugJam along with your piston/valve display. Sorry you ran into all the trouble but glad you made it home.
What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08. CIMG3763
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08. Empty Re: What started out as a great weekend...or our BugJam '08.

Post by vwfanatic67 Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:26 pm

Got home around 12:30. Awesome weekend wish your engine hadnt grenaded. For anyone reading dont buy chinese heads. I have had good luck with the piston and cylinders from china but there no reason that valve should have broken. That engine only had a couple thousand miles on it. I think that the valve seized in the guide and the piston hit it. I hate that it did it at the show but I think we all had a good time building it. I heard pete and the crew got there engine swapped at buckholts'. I had a blast and got to meet some awesome folks from North Georgia. Hope we can all get together soon maybe with a few less engines to work on.
vwfanatic67
vwfanatic67
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:40 pm

Glad it "worked out" for ya- Gotta love the display too. You oughta have a commemorative plaque made up- You earned it!
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by danoxford Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:54 pm

It definitely made things interesting. We haven't pulled a motor since...well...since the last show we went to in ATL. Weird. I see a trend. Once again thanks to everyone who helped. I also want to say I really enjoyed meeting everyone from N. GA. Hope to see you all soon.
danoxford
danoxford
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Admit it...you still had fun!!!

Didn't ya?
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by danoxford Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:40 am

Yeah...you got me. It was awesome.
danoxford
danoxford
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoSquirrel Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:19 pm

danoxford wrote:It definitely made things interesting. We haven't pulled a motor since...well...since the last show we went to in ATL. Weird. I see a trend. Once again thanks to everyone who helped. I also want to say I really enjoyed meeting everyone from N. GA. Hope to see you all soon.
Although a pain in the A, this sort of thing certainly keeps you on your toes! And a big hand to y'all for getting it sorted, good job! Likewise, good to meet you and the Southside crew.
DiscoSquirrel
DiscoSquirrel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by vwfanatic67 Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:31 pm

Good to meet you guys as well. Hope that we can all get together again soon.
vwfanatic67
vwfanatic67
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down