Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you do to your volkswagen today?

+57
Stockornaut Restorations
BUBBABEAR
tronview
bakertim2
DiggerD
laith
fried_chicken
AirKewled
fearthefat138
skunk
57RTOval
jshmnghm
Goped406
vwkultur
meinvw
Barb E. Dahl
Bugman114
wheel_sun
rpm750
petervalle
Cambur
racecar67
LungTube
56HAVOC
vwfanatic67
greg5003
sploval53
69panel
DiscoSquirrel
zabo
65type2dailydriver
jim conner
dbcox
svkustoms
Johnny
Damn-it Don
59suicide
EngineerTEN
vwovalchild
panic_fan
65veedub
39coupe
jimbear
billieco
aircooledaddicts
Joe
bumblebuggy
kabriolett
ksc78vw
VW12step
Hobug
Treehive
tito
daltondragger73
fluxcap
71_georgia_beetle
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
61 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by vwfanatic67 Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:15 pm

congrats. nice bus.
vwfanatic67
vwfanatic67
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What did you do to your volkswagen today?

Post by Hobug Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:42 pm

I guess from now on we'll just call you 'Ted's twin'.

Really nice bus Scott.....and that chick you're holding is way too good for you. cyclops
Hobug
Hobug
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1326
Registration date : 2008-07-22

http://www.athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Hobug wrote:I guess from now on we'll just call you 'Ted's twin'. No, I show up for events. Laughing

Really nice bus Scott.....and that chick you're holding is way too good for you. cyclopsI can't agree more
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Installed a rebuilt speedo yesterday. Simple to do. I've pulled the previous units at least 3 times without problems. Hop in the bus and go for some lunch, coffee, and shopping at Wal-Mart. New unit works great, nice and smooth and is spot on to true speed in spite of smaller tires on the front. Make it to Starbucks for some after lunch coffee and climb back in to get the shopping done. Turn the ign and smoke wafts from under the dash. Turn it off and run to the back to unplug batt. Had a bare spot on a ign wire that made contact with another terminal. Wire is fried. Bust out the tools and take package tray out along with ign switch. People in Starbucks stare in amusement and Lara takes this time to clean out her purse. Try scavenging some speaker wire and black tape to get a quick fix to limp to Wal-Mart. Promptly fry speaker wire. Give up and walk to the store and buy new terminals, wire, tape ect. Walk back to the bus and repair on site. People stare in amusement. Shocked Guy walks up who looks like he should be driving my van about 30 years ago. Asks if I was at the Panic show where he evidently remembers seeing a bunch of busses. Told him I wasn't there but I know the dudes he was talking about. Finish installing new wire and bus since runs perfect.

When you drive an old VW, a simple trip to the store can be an adventure.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:49 pm

I brought my deck lid home last night from bead blasting it. Today I MiG welded up three holes in the vented deck lid where the script Volkswagen emblem was attached. Ground the welds down. Shot both sides with acid etch primer. Wiped filler over the welds and the few low spots I could see and feel. I started blocking the filler down and realized I should probably wipe the entire deck lid. I started seeing high and low spots all over. The deck lid looked pretty straight when I picked it up. I'm going to skim coat the whole thing tomorrow with poly putty and block the day away.

I also picked up 100 sq. foot roll of "foil bubble foil" insulation from Lowe's; some foil tape and some 3M spray adhesive. I hope to get the bug insulated this week. I've used it before on several vehicles and it works great. It's light weight and cuts with scissors.

I got a gallon of acetone to get the waxy crud off of the bottom of the pan. I think it's cosmoline that never got cleaned off at the port of entry. It isn't greasy to the touch but when I scrape it with a plastic scraper it rolls up and looks like gummy wax. It looks yellowish green and it's translucent. It definitely did it's job as there is no rust on the bottom of the pan. The pan rusted from the inside out because of battery fumes and leaving the windows down I presume.

Does anybody know or want to venture a guess as to what the stuff is on the bottom of the pan? confused
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://sites.google.com/site/bertsguitarshop/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:07 pm

69panel wrote:
I also picked up 100 sq. foot roll of "foil bubble foil" insulation from Lowe's; some foil tape and some 3M spray adhesive. I hope to get the bug insulated this week. I've used it before on several vehicles and it works great. It's light weight and cuts with scissors.

So this stuff works pretty good? I bought some at lowes a while back and was going to do my floor pans with it, but returned it. It just seemed too thin and light. Guess I should have kept it. I'll give it a try next time around.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:01 am

pulled clutch cable and pedal assembly- assembly looks like its going to need some acel pedal work.
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:17 am

Didn't make the cruise Saturday do to a broken clutch cable. 2nd one in 6 months. Pulled out the spare Saturday evening and replaced it, bug's back on the road.
39coupe
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455

http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Post by tito Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:16 pm

showed my partners dad how to work on her bug. we adjusted the clutch, bled the brakes, replaced a wheel cylinder, and repacked the bearings.
tito
tito
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:37 pm

tito wrote:showed my partners dad how to work on her bug. we adjusted the clutch, bled the brakes, replaced a wheel cylinder, and repacked the bearings.
Can't you just call her your girlfriend? "Partner" can be viewed completely different!
71_georgia_beetle
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278

http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:04 pm

Drove my bug south a little ways and hung out with Slim Jim today!
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General

Number of posts : 4988

https://georgiadubs.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by 59suicide Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:56 pm

got my hot spark electric ignition in today installed, timed and on the road in 15 min. i can tell a big difference a lot smoother and idles better Cool best 30 bux ive spent on toby so far
59suicide
59suicide
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by tito Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:41 am

71_georgia_beetle wrote:
tito wrote:showed my partners dad how to work on her bug. we adjusted the clutch, bled the brakes, replaced a wheel cylinder, and repacked the bearings.
Can't you just call her your girlfriend? "Partner" can be viewed completely different!

hehe. i suppose i could, but i dont own her. so i dont.
tito
tito
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:49 am

I spent nearly all day on the deck lid. I wiped, nearly, the entire deck lid with a skim-coat of poly-fill. I blocked for hours. I was rubbing over it with my hands and noticed above the two sets of inboard vents it felt flat between the top down to the center set of vents. So I built it up to match the roundness of the top edge. That took two more hours. I then sealed it again with acid-etch primer and put it away. Next pay day I'll buy some 2K high build primer and shoot it and block some more until it's as straight as I can get it.

After pulling all of the carpet out and vacuuming; I couldn't believe how much crap, trash and dirt was under the carpet and in all the nooks and crannies. I was delighted to see the heater channels were flawlessly free of rust. I cut and glued my insulation on the front fire-wall and side panels of the foot well. I re-glued the carpet back over those areas. I cut and glued the tunnel insulation. I was about to re-glue the carpet to the tunnel when the wife got home from work. I was on a roll but I had to stop working; clean up the shop and myself; lock up....go in the house and ask how her day was.

I don't know about you and yours but I think my wife gets jealous of my hobby. In the past I've tried to get her to join in on other projects but...no go... No One of my two sons (The funny one) put it like this,

"When the Queen arrives home; all workers must cease. All her subjects will make her the center of attention."

He said that when he was 14. He's 31 now. We still joke about it and refer to her as the Queen. Not in her presence however. silent
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by daltondragger73 Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:11 am

Well got her runnin drove for 2 days straight around town got home helping a freind out I let him use my coil to try and get his runnin, well I figured that since the coil was off I'll change the plugs and wires,well once everything was back in order turn the key and nothing Sad so go thru it make sure all the wires are right. They were so I put a jump to it with my Silverado, turn the key life again so il let her run for, OH.. about an hour or so to charge the battery, drove around the block, What a difference new plugs and wires do!!. go inside eat diner, come back out turn the key and nothing Sad well I guess the next time im home ill be taking the battery to auto zone and have it checked, But im on the road tommorow and im gonna try to be home for thanksgiving but the wife wants to go to fLORIDA FOR Christmas SO!! Question I might be out till then.. affraid
daltondragger73
daltondragger73
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:20 am

Did the dash lights come on? If the gen bulb is burnt out, your car won't chare.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:35 am

Yesterday I continued putting in the insulation when I discovered more fiberglass repairs. Sad The repair is on the flat of the package platform behind the rear seat back. I guess this car had a leaky back window seal. I'm afraid to look under the fiberglass so I think I will leave it alone. There doesn't appear to be any rust around the edges like the floor pan patch I found earlier and fixed with metal.
On the up-right part of the package tray there is a slot where the carpet tucks below the window. Well there is rust in there as well. It appears that there are intentionally punched or drilled drain holes at the bottom of the slot. I used a dremel tool to clean it up as best I could and treated it with extend.

I'm sort of bummed out about the rust I've discovered on an otherwise solid car. It doesn't have the usual rust issues that are typical. (other than the pan under the battery...expected)

While on my lift Cool (my family got me the lift for Christmas several years ago, best present ever) cheers I painted rust extend on the perimeter of the pan. Also around the seal area of the back glass and the louvers behind the vents above the engine lid.

I bought some 2K epoxy primer with money an old friend re-payed me from a year ago that honestly I had forgotten about. So today if the rain breaks I'll shoot the engine lid other wise I'll continue insulating.

Question Questions:

I'm missing the piece or pieces that isolate the battery that go under the back seat front rail to the floor. Where can I get one or a template to cut my own? What are these things called? I'm sure they are press-board covered in vinyl or plastic.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:58 am

kick panels?

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 2182620
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:36 am

Yep, kickpanels. All the big vendors sell new ones or you can find used. Do you plan on having the heater outlets under the rear seat? I opted not to run heat under the rear seat so I needed solid kickpanels. I couldn't find any solid ones, so I just made some out of a thin sheet of wood and covered it with carpet. I didn't have an original template so I did my best to make one out of cardboard and trafsfer it to the wood. It was close, and after the carpet was glued/stapled on, it fit pretty good.
What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 CIMG3539
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:26 am

Yep, to both of you. Thanks for the name of them.

Zabo; are yours for sale? (Be reasonable now I don't have much income any more)

fluxcap; why would you not want heating back there? Did you block off the "Y" tube out-lets? in order to get more heat up front?
I don't plan on taking people around in the back seat so maybe I too will block them off. Tell me your reason please. I've read that the defrost system isn't very good on these bugs anyway and I would assume that blocking off the rear seat heat would increase pressure to the front of the vehicle.
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:32 am

69panel wrote:Yep, to both of you. Thanks for the name of them.

fluxcap; why would you not want heating back there? Did you block off the "Y" tube out-lets? in order to get more heat up front?
I don't plan on taking people around in the back seat so maybe I too will block them off. Tell me your reason please. I've read that the defrost system isn't very good on these bugs anyway and I would assume that blocking off the rear seat heat would increase pressure to the front of the vehicle.

That's exactly it. I don't plan on having many folks in the back, so I decided to do away with the rear heat and push it all to the front.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:36 am

69panel wrote:

nope the pic is just from from the samba - click the link above it. Smile

I actually need some too
zabo
zabo
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by 69panel Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:57 am

fluxcap, thanks for the quick reply...your answer is what I expected. I guess I'll block mine off too.

zabo,

Thanks too for the quick reply The gnarly ones are all he has left...bummer. If I find some locally I'll let you know.

Bert
69panel
69panel
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by daltondragger73 Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:40 pm

bumblebuggy wrote:Did the dash lights come on? If the gen bulb is burnt out, your car won't chare.

Yeah all the dash lights came on, ill prob. take the battery and the altenater down and have them both checked
daltondragger73
daltondragger73
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your volkswagen today? - Page 11 Empty The Panel Bus Update

Post by billieco Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:19 pm

Put a new rear seal, trans output shaft seal, throw-out bearing and new Gr-2 rear shocks on the bus tonight. Getting it ready for Bulli! Twisted Evil
billieco
billieco
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 305

http://stockornaut.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next