PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2010-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: fan grind

Post by fluxcap on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Don't have much for you on the fan issue, but what is the fluid that is leaking? Doesn't look dark or dirty like I imagine oil would. Is it possibly gas? When my old carb was leaking badly, gas would soak and stain the case in those exact same spots. Check your throttle shaft for play, if it has a lot of slop in it, gas may be dripping from there. Or you may have a bad fuel pump. The pump has a weep hole on the backside, and if the diaphragm gets a hole, gas will leak out of that weep hole and also stain those parts of the case.

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
1966 camper bus - Bocephus
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3854
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:17 pm

zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:20 pm

hey eric it is oil its coming from the base of the oil cooler
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 pm

when you put that new alternator on did you get all the shims back on in the right order?

also sometimes too tight a fan belt can cause it to make noise as well.
just think of all that downward force on the pulley pushing the fan up and into the shroud- especially posible since you were missing those bolts Wink
zabo
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:38 pm

urgh im such a visual person. there are so many details its hard to remember. and if i get pissy with one of yall lemme know cause i got a short temper with the keyboard and this car. but anyways there was grinding way before loosing the bolt and screws. i have lost the screws twice now in two weeks so whatever it is, is getting worse. yes i did put all the shims back in that needed to and if i loosen the belt it sqweaks at high rpms. Damn I just want a new motor that works.
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:34 pm

The oil is from the base of your oil cooler. You mentioned a fire so it is possible that the fan or housing are warped. You may be able to move a shim from the alt side to the outside and get a bit more clearance.
When you are putting the 4 bolts into the shroud that hold it on are you using a lock or wavy washer? No washer or an incorrect one will cause them to vibrate out. Maybe try cleanning them with some parts cleanner and use a q-tip in the holes and use some blue locktite.
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

View user profile http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:18 pm

PeeWeeMan91 wrote:hey eric it is oil its coming from the base of the oil cooler

Well rats! I was hoping it would be something that would go away when you put your new carb on.

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
1966 camper bus - Bocephus
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3854
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:57 pm

yeah me too lol wish it was an easy fix
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tinnocker on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:21 pm

I had an alternator /fan scrubbing issue on a crate engine that I bought. There is a 1/4-3/8" adjustment at the alternator strap. Loosen the strap that holds the alternator on the stand and use a screwdriver to pry the alternator forward or backward to see if it stops the scrubbing. There is an indention on the alternator mount where the strap goes. Pry with the screwdriver on each side of the strap. Move the alternator backwards and tighten the strap in place and check for scrubbing. If you still have the scrubbing, loosen the strap and pry it forward and retighten the strap. Have the 4 bolts that hold the alternator to the shroud tight while you make these adjustments. Also make sure your shroud is bolted tight to the case. It worked on my engine.
Also on some of the alternator/generator stands there is a line up notch. Be sure your alternator is sitting tight in the saddle of the stand, both front and rear.

tinnocker
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heinz57 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Is that fan an OEM fan or a After Market one? In your video when you spun the fan to show if was a wobbling. Yes it has some roundout. While at low speed or turning it by hand there's enough clearance, but run the engine up to 3000 or 4000 k rpms the wobble will get worse. Remember, your Alt/Gen spins faster than crank speed. Again as you showed in the video about the grinding at the bottom of the shroud. If the top bolts that hold the Alt in fell out that would let the alt move downward causing grinding in the shroud. As meinvw stated, you need to get some VW wave washers or actual lock washers under those 4 bolts.
Heinz57
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2008-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by callahan on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:26 pm

get the four screws that hold the backing plate in place and put it all together and stick an old credit card between the alternator and the stand
mine was doing the same thing back when i swaped my generator out for an alternator and that fixed it
callahan
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1271
Registration date : 2010-02-06

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1030359664

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Found the problem the d Thingy that is in the back of the fan cracked and broke completely.
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:00 pm

u mean the fan itself? that happened to me a while back. my fan was wobbling the same way. i bought a brand new german fan. really good quality, and when i put it on, there was no wobble at all. i got it at import auto. I do not trust origional fans as you can only imagine how many miles must be on them. not to mention how much stress. i checked a few of the ones i had lying around, and one of them had a slight crack in that same area, and another had a slightly noticeable bend to it. i have yet to test an old origional fan that didn't have a slight wobble to it.
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 pm

im guessing he ment the woodruff key
zabo
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Nope the thing on the fan its self rectangle with rounded ends
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 pm

PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:01 pm

yup. thats the same place mine broke. seems to be a pretty common problem. if you notice, its the same shape as the hub. i'm guesing the flexing of the fan, causes it to crease there, and eventually crack.

I've always had a thought to take an old fan, cut the center out (a little wider then the two holes on either side of the center), place it on top, and weld it inside the fan, to strengthen it, especially for those who race, or like to rev the hell out of it (or turbo motors) Twisted Evil . just a thought tho.
Bugman114
Dub God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Yeah you can't see the crack but they go all the way to the fins. And thanks to Bryce I got a new fan but I still can't drive tomorrow cause I don't have the oil cooler base seals. Because somewhere some how the po had an old block put in cause it's got the 8mm port instead of the later blocks with 10mm.
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20 pm

oh wow. i've never seen one go all the way to the fins. good thing the fan didn't explode. one guy on thesamba lost his whole motor cuz the fan exploded, put a big hole in this block, and destroyed the cylinders and pistons.

What kind of seals can you use for that? or do you have to switch to the older style oil cooler? maybe just the older style seals? if you need either seals i have a bunch of them lying around.
Bugman114
Dub God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWeeMan91 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Yeah I got to get 8mm to 10mm seals their called the green seals or atleast that's what dad found online. But dads going to lindys tomorrow
PeeWeeMan91
Dub Crazy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top