Ghost in the Westy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ghost in the Westy

Post by 71_georgia_beetle on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:26 am

I took the family out to eat in the Westy tonight and when we got home I turned the key and removed it. The problem it that the VW continued to run as if I had done nothing. After fiddling with the ignition for a bit I stalled it to kill it. The only problem is that all the acc items (lights, fuel pump, etc.) are still on. I remembered that on the way home I was goofing with what I thought was the console lights dimmer. Basically turning the head light switch left and right, ending up all the way to the right. Now, as I rotated it back to the left out of a notched position all the acc went off. I fire the bus back up, cut it off and all was well. To test my theory I rotated the light switch know right, into that notched position, fired up the bus, pulled the lights on, turned the key off, removed the key with the engine still running. I can kill the bus by either turning off the lights or rotating the knob back to the left. WTF?

Was this some sort of Westy camping feature or some fucked up PO work?
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

View user profile http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ghost in the Westy

Post by bumblebuggy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:59 am

Sounds like you have a wire crossed in there somewhere. Possibly two wires unshielded touching so when you send power throught the dimmer (all the way right or lights on) it's giving power to the key. I had the opposite problem after installing my speedo. When the shielding of the wire came in contact with another hot wire with the key in, it burned through the ignition wire leaving me in the Starbucks parking lot to fix it. Sounds similar to the issue you're having only opposite where you're still getting some sort of contact by rotating the dimmer switch. If that switch controls some of the interior lights where, a turn in a particular direction turns on an interior light, it could be giving power to the ignition that it's not supposed to get. But I know little about electrical gremlins and even less about the inner workings of westys. Just my two pennies.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:47 am

bumblebuggy wrote:Sounds like you have a wire crossed in there somewhere. Possibly two wires unshielded touching so when you send power throught the dimmer (all the way right or lights on) it's giving power to the key. I had the opposite problem after installing my speedo. When the shielding of the wire came in contact with another hot wire with the key in, it burned through the ignition wire leaving me in the Starbucks parking lot to fix it. Sounds similar to the issue you're having only opposite where you're still getting some sort of contact by rotating the dimmer switch. If that switch controls some of the interior lights where, a turn in a particular direction turns on an interior light, it could be giving power to the ignition that it's not supposed to get. But I know little about electrical gremlins and even less about the inner workings of westys. Just my two pennies.
Great ideas. It gives ma a place to start. Thanks again.

Scott
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

View user profile http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:27 pm

Better get that fixed. Next time I see your Westy I might be tempted to turn the lights on and push start it W/O the key. Twisted Evil
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top