Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help adjusting carb and timing

4 posters

Go down

Need help adjusting carb and timing Empty Need help adjusting carb and timing

Post by Treehive Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:28 pm

The Hive is running, but the carb and the timing need to be adjusted. I'm running a 009 dizzy and a single Web progressive carb. I have a timing light and I think static timing is 7.5 degrees BTDC. I have never adjusted the carb b4. I know that there are two screw that control the air/gas mixture....do I just mess around till it sounds about right? I have read that idle should be set @ 1000 rpm, but how do I know that its running @ 1000 without a tachometer? Anyone local that wants to lend a hand this week for a few minutes would be cool. I have reached that point where I can do no more without the help of someone more experienced. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the shop....mostly becasue Bobby @ Advance said he could not even think about looking at it till Mon Crying or Very sad I was hoping to take her to the mountains this weekend....
Treehive
Treehive
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Need help adjusting carb and timing Empty Re: Need help adjusting carb and timing

Post by peregrine67 Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Treehive wrote:but how do I know that its running @ 1000 without a tachometer?
I just adjusted the idle by ear on Pippi. I just dialed it down 'til it sounded about how it used to sound before I rebuilt it.
peregrine67
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Need help adjusting carb and timing Empty Re: Need help adjusting carb and timing

Post by fluxcap Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:14 pm

009 should be timed at full advance. 28-32 degrees btdc at @3000 rpm. When I ran a 009 I usually kept it at 30 degrees btdc.

It's nice to have a tach to know when you are close to 3000rpm, but I don't think it's completely necessary for the 009. As the rpms go up, the dizzy should eventually stop advancing. If you've been around VWs any amount of time you'll know if you're opening the throttle up too much to where the engine is going to explode. If you don't have a tach, I'd just open the throttle up a good bit and MAKE SURE its not advancing anymore(watch it closely), then adjust the dizzy to where it's hitting around 30 degrees. My timing light has a tach built into it. Find a buddy nearby that has a light like this, and double check yourself as soon as you get the chance.

Here's the vw resource page that has more discussion of timing the 009.
http://www.vw-resource.com/009_dizzy.html#timing

fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by tronview Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Here's a very useful tool that will help.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Actron-Analog-Dwell-tachometer-voltmeter-automotive-analyzer-with-zero-adjust-for-maximum-accuracy/_/N-26lr?counter=2&filterByKeyWord=dwell&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=122882_0_0_
tronview
tronview
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down