Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help me clarify the '67 type 1 ...

3 posters

Go down

Please help me clarify the '67 type 1 ... Empty Please help me clarify the '67 type 1 ...

Post by ibjamn Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:51 am

I have seen adds in the for sale thread on samba regarding " '67 bug only parts". But what stock parts in fact, are only available from the American version of this year bug? I have seen some things claiming " '66 - '67 only" as well. Not that I think these differences are going to make it "more valuable", but the things I may want to keep off of mine, or to hold on to in case I sell it with the original items. Plus, maybe to put original parts back in it, and in the correct locations. Or even to make sure I don't mistakenly/ignorantly sell something off of it that I may regret later on because of rarity(-ish)..... I have searched on TheSamba for more answers by using the search, but there are way too many posts to go through.... It caused more confusion for me and added more questions.... Keep in mind, I am no "purest", per say...... yet.... maybe if I had an oval.

Here is a few things I have found that I think are true OEM 67 type 1 only, but if I am wrong about them, please let me know. I am questioning some of these, but if I have missed something, please add to the list.

*front fenders
*tank or gas cap(?)
*brake fluid reservior
*fuse panel
*rear apron
*rear deck lid (?) I am guessing because of no louvers stamped ?
*rear deck lid latch (?)
*door handles
*door lock mechanism
*door strikers (?)
*lap belts/attachment on the tunnel
*rubber grommet/wiring boots for front lamps under fenders
*12 volt generator used in 67 any different than later years(?)
*voltage regulator located under rear seat
*Z-bar(?) -I know where it is, but what the hell is it for? Laughing
*the actual 2-speed wiper motor(?) even though newer one can be used>?
*wiper switch
*ignition cylinder(?) "L-code" is it?
*oil bath air cleaner assembly
*engine trim near apron, where pre-warming hoses go through?
*doors (not sure as to why?)

Is anything on the pan, mechanical or brake components/assemblies special for '67?
What about the front markers themselves?
Any other spots on the body?

I am not even sure if my SP motor is the original, as I couldn't find the # for it in the tech info at thesamba, but it has the VW stamped on it. I don't care if the case or heads are og, but certain attachments I may want to hold on to if they are still there. But better performance/reliability parts are more important to be used on it.

Any help and clarifying would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy

ibjamn
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Please help me clarify the '67 type 1 ... Empty Re: Please help me clarify the '67 type 1 ...

Post by Grifspop Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:54 pm

'67 was a big year for the Beetle, some consider it their best. VW was changing between the '66 and '68 Beetle, and '67 just happened to be in the middle of a bunch of improvements. It's the first year for 12 volt, and before the padded dash and highback seats and bulky bumpers, so the dash knobs are different, the wiper is the first 2 speed version. The '67 also had the thin body side mouldings with the old body style. It didn't have the same door handles on the inside, or on the outside. It's the first year for back-up lights standard, in '68 they were added to the tail lights, so '67 was unique in that respect. The oil bath air cleaner had 2 little hoses coming off that corresponded to 2 little holes in the rear tin. '67 front fenders also were the first with upright style headlights, but had no slots for bumper brackets, because they came out of the front apron. Seat belts were different, the rear axles are different, the Z bar was their first attempt at a rear sway bar, all kinds of changes took place then.
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Please help me clarify the '67 type 1 ... Empty Re: Please help me clarify the '67 type 1 ...

Post by ibjamn Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Well, finally found something worth while. Rolling Eyes The "Search" function is only your friend when you know how to type and click on certain searching parameters.... sheesh

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187814&highlight=1967

I knew before that the 67 was the last model for some parts, and the first model for other parts.... but I didn't realize the amount of "one year only" parts. Neutral

Thanks for the reply, Grifspop. Since my first car was a 70 type 1, and while growing up, my dad had several bugs (a few Supers, a sweet 64 and at one time a stock 67), so I knew of some basic differences. Stupid me. With the 67 my dad drove for a little while, I saw some changes that VW did, but never really looked at it that close.
At least most of the "one year only" parts are there on mine, so maybe in the future I might find some of those accessories that are for the 67....

ibjamn
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Can someone please explain to me what two years of VW are completely interchangeable with each other? I have yet to find them... though I could go on for days about differences...

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ibjamn Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Suspect you don't have to make fun at me .....

scratch

....or are you laughing with my inside voice? Because he agrees with you geek

ibjamn
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:16 pm

ibjamn wrote:Suspect you don't have to make fun at me .....

scratch

....or are you laughing with my inside voice? Because he agrees with you geek

No, it's actually a serious question... because I can tell you about numerous ridiculous changes...

Take for instance the 2 year only 1302 super beetle... they had a different ignition system, the rear window was a different size, the steering wheels were different, the seats were different, the wheels changed, the decklid changed... move to 72, they change the hood to a smaller one, the dash is one year only due to ventilation, they changed the mounting of the front suspension mid way through the year, also the glove box door changed from the old knob to the new rectangular one, the rear lights changed making it one year only for the fenders because in 74 they started using bumper shocks... but in 75 they changed the way the bumper shocks mounted, so 74 is one year only as well... also i believe it was in 74 that the diameter of the steering wheel shaft changed...

want me to go on? These are just random ones that I can remember... and these are just on beetles... although 71 seemed to have a lot of one year only parts across the board... I have mostly owned 70's stuff so I can list their stuff easier... but I do know a lot of 66 one year only stuff from when I had a 66.. and just other randomness... I wouldn't focus so much on knowing it all... leave it to the books to figure out the difference... it's ridiculous the amount of changes that were made!

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ibjamn Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:33 pm

I hear ya.

The more I read on about it, the bigger my headache..... and that is just me reading almost 30 pages of stuff for this one year of a type 1.
Now it is more of a curiousity thing with me.... I am about to grab my flashlight and walk the dog, via a gander at a couple of things on my bug to see if they might be original. I said before that I'm not a "purist", well maybe just a little as far as having the correct parts....?

Hmmm..... "bitten by the bug"..... is this where that phrase came from? Smile

ibjamn
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 am

Read the book "Small Wonder", it details the changes year by year, it also talks about how Volkswagen set up their dealer and distributor network. VW wouldn't sell a car in an area that they couldn't service it, and many of the old dealerships could build a complete car from their parts dept.
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down