Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AC/Turbo/Heat

+2
bakertim2
kindabored2
6 posters

Go down

AC/Turbo/Heat Empty AC/Turbo/Heat

Post by kindabored2 Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:59 pm

I posted the below on Samba, do-able?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=404560&highlight=

kindabored2
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

AC/Turbo/Heat Empty Re: AC/Turbo/Heat

Post by bakertim2 Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:07 pm

It's certainly doable. How deep are your pockets, is the real question.
bakertim2
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3230
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:15 pm

All that, and you want to close the decklid too?
Grifspop
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by kindabored2 Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:16 pm

That's the reason for the question because cubic $'s don't live at my house. Maybe if you start with a car that has a good sound engine you only add AC & a turbo kit. Either one of the 3 could be your base, but is there enough room in a bug to fit everything? Cheaply or something close?

kindabored2
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 am

O AC OR TURBO PICK YOUR POISOIN BRO LOL!!! THATS SOME BIG BUCKS AND I THINK YOR GOING TO RUN IN TO SOME HEATING PROBLEMS. BU I CAN BE WRONG BUT KEEP ME INFORM ON TIS ONE,
56HAVOC
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 am

The big challenge, as was noted, is decklid closed. AC or turbo alone- do -able. Turbo kits have come a long way- and some setups I've seen put the turbo itself behind the rear apron, out of the engine compartment. These might be custom fabbed though. (note "deep pockets" above!) This would leave plenty of room for the ac stuff....well, some plumbing for the turbo needs to share the space, but the turbo is hidden, and not in the way. Having the turbo OUT of the compartment would help with the heating issue. Bringing a hot exhaust pipe into the sealed engine compartment brings a lot of extra heat that the VW cooling was not designed to contend with- thats another reason many turbo setups have the decklid propped out on standoffs, or removed all together.
Damn-it Don
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kindabored2 Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:36 am

There is a nice looking 71 with ac for sale in Florida. Then I read a VW Trends article on adding a turbo kit to basically a stock 1600. So I was trying to see if I could combine the 2. This way I would have the car, ac & the turbo kit for when it's time to build a bigger engine. Total cost less than $6k.

I just don't believe there is enough room.

kindabored2
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:15 pm

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE PM ME ABOUT THIS TOPIC?!?!?!?!?!?!? lol Laughing

Dude, its totally doable. all you wqould have to do is a hide-away turbo set-up, and mount the compressor on the stock position. this has been my plan for my 72 super. it was an origional AC car, and still have everything for the AC minus the compressor. plus i already have a turbo kit. so the plan was to mount a modern day compressor, because they use much less power to drive then an origional tecumseh compressor found on stock VW's. and then if i have room mount the turbo inside, or just under the apron. but i plan to mount the turbo sideways, and stick it where the stock carb would normally go. seems to work in theory, but we'll see, lol.

AC/Turbo/Heat 101_1934
AC/Turbo/Heat 101_1937
AC/Turbo/Heat 101_1945
AC/Turbo/Heat 101_1946

Here's a pic of my old set-up. the decklid fit on with no issues, and other then the exit exhaust pipe on the turbo, the apron would have almost fit as well. a little farther back, and it would have been no problem, and then the AC compressor would go on the drivers side of the motor, and since the outlet of the intake of the turbo went thru the belt, the ac compressor would have just made the belt go away from the turbo intake, so this would have been exactly what your looking for. oh, and this was on a stock 1600dp btw. and it had about as much power out of my 2074cc motor (78mm stroker crank, 92mm pistons). but the plan is to take the parts from this turbo kit, and modify it to work on my 2074cc motor, but instead of using the weber progressive, i plan to use a holley 350cfm 4 barrel carb from AJ sims Twisted Evil .
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 pm

oh, and as far as heat, my plan was to hook up some heater boxes, with one of those electric fan kits to blow more air thru the car. once rode in a bug with those aftermarket inline fan kits, and the difference was amazing, lol. MUCH more heat then normal. also helps to use origonal heaterboxes, as most of the aftermarket ones i've seen done have the big aluminum heatsink inside, around the exhaust like origional, so they will put out a lot less heat. i only wish someone would make some heaterboxes with larger diameter pipe, so it won't be as restrictive for larger motors, expecially with turbos. kinda pointless to have big valve heads if the friggin exhaust wasn't so small, lol. if not, then prolly just go with an electric 12V heater, lol.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by kindabored2 Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 pm

This is pretty ironic.

The 72 you purchased is the bug that got me interested. I saw your post where you let everyone know it was for sale & I started thinking about buying the car. It appealed to me because it had what seems like a nice engine and was a prior AC car.

I started doing a bit of research & thought that a compressor and lines would be about all it would take to have a driver through the summer with lots of future upside with the car. Obviously you did the same or similar.

I think you made a great buy and will be interested to watch your thread and see how your build comes together.

kindabored2
Dub Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:54 am

lol, small world. i think i made out pretty good. i was able to get it for only $1K. even tho the motor dropped a valve, and destroyed the head, the heads were stock and i would have changed them out anyway. so i'm gettin a set of MOFOCO 042 heads. they got dual springs, which is nessesary for the engle 120 cam thats in the motor.

and yeah, my plan is just to get as much stuff done to the car the will fit, lol. I bought am origional 6 volt gas heater from bryce a while back, and kinda forgot about it, so i'm thinking i can restore it, and install it. also while i'm under the hood, i was thinking about buying that electronic actuator that northern tool sells for $150, and use it to automatically raise and lower the hood with a push of the button. and since it has an over 1000lbs lift capacity, i should have any problems with the hood flying off (again), lol.

tomorrrow i plan to go pick up the heads, and hope to atleast get the motor back together, and i'll take a few pics of the process. the only thing i still need is a set of solid rocker shafts. after that, i'll be rollin again.
Bugman114
Bugman114
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down