Georgia Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel bearing noise???

4 posters

Go down

Wheel bearing noise??? Empty Wheel bearing noise???

Post by fluxcap Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:11 pm

Hi everyone,
Some of you have probably already read about my brainfart last week where I didn't tighten my lugbolts all the way and my wheel came off. The car was just completed and had only been on the road for about 60 seconds. Well I've gotten it all taken care of and inspected everything, but I'm concerned about the light "rolling noise" I hear when driving. I have removed and inspected all the front bearings, races, brakes, and drum. Everything looks good, so I put it all back together and regreased everything. The car feels good when driving, steering is nice and tight and there is no vibration from the front end. However, I can hear a light rolling roar when I drive. It's drowned out by the engine when going at speed, but when slowing to a stop I can hear it. It doesn't sound bad, just sounds like I can hear the bearings doing their job. Like I said, it's not very loud at all, but I notice it. I've had volkswagens for 12 years, but I haven't had a running one for nearly 6 years. Maybe I'm just use to modern cars with heavy insulation from outside noises.

So my question is, should it be noiseless when just rolling, or is it normal to hear the bearings and wheels turning a little? Thanks for any input.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3857
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Wheel bearing noise??? Empty Re: Wheel bearing noise???

Post by camch Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:20 pm

It is possible that 1 of the rollers on the bearing got warped or banged up just a little,what i would do is go on a drive for about 20 miles and stop,put your hand on the wheel and feel the tempature of the wheels to see if 1 is hotter than the other if it is i would start looking at that side to see whats going on,if they both feel the same it might just be a tire roar or something small,hope this helps.
camch
camch
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://yubuggin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:27 pm

I did this the other day after about a 3 mile drive around the neighborhood streets. Both front drums felt about the same. I'm going to drive it up to the library later to drop off some books, It'll be a longer drive, so I'll check it again after that. Thanks!!
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:58 pm

Yea good advise above. They all have quirks and strange noises. Since you're just getting rolling you need to learn what's normal and what isn't. As long as they spin freely and don't make too much heat, you should be OK. Make a mental note of the volume and, if it gets louder, then get worried. You might try getting up to a good speed and killing the engine while you roll to a stop to verify you're hearing what you think it is. It could be something as simple as the tire being out of balance.
bumblebuggy
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:33 pm

Well, I did all the above test this evening, and I think I'm just a bit over nervous. Took a 20 mile drive and drove it pretty hard. Car did great. It's definitely a rolling noise and not engine related. Killed the engine and without the engine noise I could still hear it while rolling. Felt the wheels after the drive and both were about the same and not burning hot. I think I'm just going to be a bit paranoid for a few weeks. But that's probably a good thing, better safe than sorry! It was a blast driving with the top open. The engine and transmission feel great! Thanks for the feedback Camch and Glenn.
fluxcap
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by dbcox Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:29 pm

It wont take but a few minutes to pop it off and take a look either,if your worried still. While you are in there inspect them and repack them if they are ok What a Face
Crap never mind i reread your post you did that. Ive been at work for 14 hours sorry. The rear maybe? Plus you do have to get used to all the noises they make. If i drive mty truck a few days mine feels like its going to fly apart when i get back in it but after a few miles im good
dbcox
dbcox
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-08-09

http://www.lubedealer.com/dbcox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down